• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

missing fonts and outlines

signtech 2

Wow - I'm so confused. Why does Acrobat open files that have missing fonts just fine yet Illustrator always says the font is missing and substitutes it for another, incorrect font.

These are files I simply need to output and don't need to edit so I don't need the fonts - I need accuracy! I have to open them in Illustrator first to take the elements out I need, however, so I can't open them directly in my printer's RIP (Versaworks), which also doesn't complain of missing fonts.

Is there a way I can just open the outlines in Illustrator and not have it force me to provide the correct font so the text is editable when I don't need it to be? HELP! It be drivin' me nuts!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Best thing is to go back to the client and have them resave with the type converted to outlines. Just tell them to

• Open the file
  • Control +A to Select All
  • Control +Shift +O to Convert to Outlines
  • Control +S to Save
There's a neat trick that The Vector Doctor shared with us in post #8 in This Thread. It applies to PDF files and I don't think it works with AI or EPS but it might be worth a try.

signtech 2

Thanks for the reply, Fred. I was just wondering if there was a way around asking the client to do the conversion to curves/outlines since Acrobat and my RIP seemed to open them with no issue without the supporting font file.

I'll go look at the thread you mention.

EDIT: oh wait, that post by the Vector Doctor was right on the money - THANKS! :)

gtrev

Thanks for the reply, Fred. I was just wondering if there was a way around asking the client to do the conversion to curves/outlines since Acrobat and my RIP seemed to open them with no issue without the supporting font file.

I'll go look at the thread you mention.

EDIT: oh wait, that post by the Vector Doctor was right on the money - THANKS! :)

I take it that your client is giving you an AI file?
The reason some programs don't have problems with fonts is the illustrator file has been saved with the 'create PDF compatible file'.
What this does is create a pdf file & a native illustrator file within the same file. Your rip software will be reading the pdf portion with the embeded fonts where illustrator will read the native illustrator portion & need the fonts installed or converted to curves.