• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Missing profile message in Photoshop?

threeputt

I get the message (shown below) whenever PS opens a new file. (it didn't use to do this, but we just newly re-loaded all programs after a virus)

So I know there must be some critical settings, some boxes to be "ticked" but I'm not sure what the settings should be.

We print roll to roll vinyl on a Roland doing general sign work, if that matters.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 92

J Hill Designs

Yes that will turn the message off - just set your profiles to what you want to use (Adobe RGB 1998 for RGB, SWOP or whatever you like for CMYK etc...then when a unprofiled file gets added, it will set itself to your pref's) Hope that makes sense. The only reason for that message is so you KNOW that there is no profile embedded...

luggnut

i assume most files are supplied to me as sRGB ... i use adode 1998. so you can't assign the adobe1998 profile to an sRGB image without messing up the color. always honor the embedded profile , open in PS and then convert to your working space. if there is no embedded profile and it is not your file it is probably sRGB... if you created the file and your settings were adobe1998 then you need to assign that profile.

so the message my be a help to you... so you will know what is going on with the color management

HaroldDesign

This is a debatable subject...
Of Course!
I choose CMYK because the printer prints with Cyan, Magenta, Yellow & Black. Why leave one or another units (aside from calibrated monitor) or rips to interpolate RGB along the way to the printer? ...That's my logic, which of course many won't see any in it, but we'll take that up in NHB some day!
:smile:

Rooster

The CMYK profiles for Sheetfed and Web Offset Printers are much smaller than what can be achieved on inkjet printers.

Working in CMYK using the existing profiles in photoshop results in a smaller available gamut.

The press profiles are based off of SWOP standard inks. We use much brighter pigments with inkjets.

threeputt

Thanks all, I've made the settings. Appreciate the help.

And....if this topic ever gets debated (in NHB or otherwise) I'll put a special eye on it. Trying to learn all I can.

noregrets

The best way to find out for yourself is to have a bit of a play. I did this a while ago with some gradients with say blue at one end and green at the other.

Print it on your printer using each of the different colour spaces and you will be amazed at the results and will see the different colour gamuts in each of the spaces yourself.

:)