• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mist or spray around print

altereddezignz

I have attached 2 images. On is the reg marks. As you can see from them the line that has the spray around it is not in the direction that the printer head moves. The bottom line that is crisp is in the way the printer head moves. The print head is set to high bc i have some issues at times with the head dragging across small areas of some prints and ruining them. I guess it would be called a head strike but it does not stop the printer or pause as it was a head strike. Sometimes it will happen on the dragging in sometimes not.

2nd image is same issue its noise or mist around the edges of the circles. same issue mist or fog or something. Fine and fuz 2 setting. oracal 3165 material. Temps to 45/45/50. Quality 4 setting.

Attachments

• 20151104_055053_resized.jpg
    20151104_055053_resized.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20151104_055029_resized.jpg
    20151104_055029_resized.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 83

heyskull

Avoid at all costs if possible head strikes as they can destroy heads.
Also if the material is vulnerable to buckling this is usually an issue with the heater settings or very cheap material.
The fuzziness around the edges will either be caused by fluff or could be nozzle deflections caused by the head strikes.
The fluff can be cleaned but nozzle deflections are irreparable.
When you do a nozzle check, what does the test print look like?

SC

altereddezignz

Avoid at all costs if possible head strikes as they can destroy heads.
Also if the material is vulnerable to buckling this is usually an issue with the heater settings or very cheap material.
The fuzziness around the edges will either be caused by fluff or could be nozzle deflections caused by the head strikes.
The fluff can be cleaned but nozzle deflections are irreparable.
When you do a nozzle check, what does the test print look like?

SC

Nozzle check looks perfect. The machine actually never calls for it being a head strike its like a soft rub or something when it leave ink in random places. I use Avery and Oracal 3165 for a lot of stuff and have even seen it leave the rub streak on canvas. I have cleaned the head. The head does a self cleaning every 8 hours also as we leave it on 24/7 and have it set to clean every 8 hours. It only does the ink drag or rub with the head on low so i run it in high all the time.

the material only seems to buckle any when it sets between a print on at the edge as soon as i start to print if i have loaded the material into the printer.

I can change the head back to low and pretty much remove the mist or spray but i am afraid to ruin material or prints bc of this rub. Its sporadic and does not happen all the time.

heyskull

If it head strikes on canvas it is the worst type of material for the head to touch as it is like sand paper!
I am using Oracal 3165, Arlon, 3m IJ180 and banner material.
The only time I have it high settings is when printing banner.
I would also check the humidity of the print area as the materials react differently to moisure in the air and can cause wrinkling of the material.

SC

altereddezignz

If it head strikes on canvas it is the worst type of material for the head to touch as it is like sand paper!
I am using Oracal 3165, Arlon, 3m IJ180 and banner material.
The only time I have it high settings is when printing banner.
I would also check the humidity of the print area as the materials react differently to moisure in the air and can cause wrinkling of the material.

SC

I dont think you can get a lower humidity level in our print area. We run a humidifier all the time in here along with its on central air system. The room never varies away from 72 degrees year round. Ill have toi check the actual humidity in here but i can promise it is not high at all lol...

x2chris7x

We have the same printer, and also only print on oracal 3165... We use Wasatch as our RIP and the settings are: Quality 4, Fine & Fuzz 1... Heater set to 40/42/50. You may want to check your ink limit as well, the ink on your print looks pretty heavy... Ours is set to 290. Hope this info helps out

BTW we always print with the head low for vinyl, and high for banner... Even though I printed a banner yesterday with the head low for a more crisp print... A lot less over spray with head low

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Printing on vinyl in high head height mode will cause this issue no doubt. The reason your head is striking the material in low head height mode is because your heat settings are too high. I generally set the temps for regular vinyl around 35/37/50. The idea is to get the material as hot as possible without it buckling. Use trial and error to figure out what the sweet spot is for you. Different materials will act differently when it comes to the heat settings. Also, turn your vacuum up all the way and see if that helps with the buckling.

altereddezignz

Printing on vinyl in high head height mode will cause this issue no doubt. The reason your head is striking the material in low head height mode is because your heat settings are too high. I generally set the temps for regular vinyl around 35/37/50. The idea is to get the material as hot as possible without it buckling. Use trial and error to figure out what the sweet spot is for you. Different materials will act differently when it comes to the heat settings. Also, turn your vacuum up all the way and see if that helps with the buckling.

I print on canvas, 3165, Avery 1005ezrz and banner material along with magic photo poster paper. These are all my norms. Ill lower the temp the next time i print and set my head to low and see what that does just out of curiosity. I leave the vacuum all the way up in the driver settings so that wouldnt make a change.

Thank you for the info.