• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mixing a homebrew cleaning solution?

MikePro

i always got my ingredients from a local chemist.... mine happens to be a company that specializes in pool & commercial/janitorial cleaning supplies, so they always have these ingredients available. I'm sure you have similiar suppliers in your area. I remember the reference to sherwin williams carrying these items as well.

p.s. i made this same homebrew cleaning solution for years, often without gloves. No kidney failure yet :)
Its still safe practice to wear protective eyewear whenever you're pouring chemicals from large containers. You never know when you get that "bloop" and a droplet of solvent jumps 3ft in the air and into your eyeball. Chaos Theory dictates that it is bound to happen.

I wasn't exactly bathing in the chemicals either, as you should be using a dropper/bottle & swabs for any of the items you're trying to clean anyways, but I ALWAYS washed my hands afterwards because that solvent-essence lingers for quite a long time.

Boyanski

So if you mix it with some acetone, i assume that does not go inside the head? Its for cleaning only? Or could be used for flushing and unblocking heads?

MikePro

So if you mix it with some acetone, i assume that does not go inside the head? Its for cleaning only? Or could be used for flushing and unblocking heads?
both. BUT you have to dial-in your ratio's for the intended uses. Less-acetone for flushing. More-acetone for light scrubbing of the capping station & sides of the printhead.
I haven't had a solvent printer in over 6 years and haven't had to make my own cleaning solution in as long, but if you look through these old homebrew posts the ratios should still be there.

....and the use of the term "unblocking heads" has been misused over the years, as a means to restoring nozzles after a nasty headstrike. which is impossible. you can't un-mangle a metal plate with microscopic holes in it with chemical solution. however, if you're restoring a printhead that has been sitting idle for so long that the ink had solidified, then yes... you can use solution to flush it, carefully.

Boyanski

Thanks for the info. Already a week i use 50/50 ratio and can say its better than the cleaning solution that came with the printer. I finally cleaned properly the heads/ around them/ . There was a lot of crap that every next day was magically dissolved. I like especially the wetting non drying effect, wow. This helps a lot and now my printer starts to look well cared for.
The worst head i have i cleaned directly swiping on it /one direction only/ and there was no problem
Most will laugh but as i finished my cleaning pads, i use ear buds now, while waiting for the packet. They do the job perfectly in fact, just care has to be taken not to leave hairs from the cotton.

At the end of the cleaning operation i spray a bit of liquid directly on the heads and then go and clean the caps. I don't know if it helps but surely does not hurt. All is clean now.

Last edited: