Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing Vinyl brands on t-shirts

Discussion in 'Printwear' started by Clear Choice, May 28, 2011.

1. Clear Choice

Clear Choice Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Can I put different vinyl brands on the same t-shirt
    even though the times and temperatures are
    different?

For instance: I have Fibron Black that takes 345 F
    and 20 sec. But the Siser Easy Weed green is 300
    for 15 sec.

Will the extra heat and time cause problems with
    the Siser?

TIA
    Sue2

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    That just adds different variables to the mix. Now if you are putting down the black first and than the green (which has the lower temp) than that might not be an issue. However, you still have to worry about how well it will adhere to the other brand.

I haven't really tried this with vinyl on shirts as I tend to use one brand anyway, once I find what I like, but for other products I do notice that while there might be some quality difference between two products from the same brand. There is a big difference between the same product between two different brands and parts don't translate all that well to the other.

3. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Why do you try it on a practice shirt and see.......????

4. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN

Doesn't really need to do it on a whole shirt. Just some leftover scraps that match the material would work. Just so long as they could simulate the process.

5. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005

Thats what I meant............:thumb:

6. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I gotcha:thumb:

7. Clear Choice

Clear Choice Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Actually, I was trying to think ahead.

I've only purchased Thermoflex and Fibron (re-branded Thermoflex).
    BUT, occasionally I see some good deals on the Siser EW and
    I wondered if there would be problems using two vinlys on the
    same shirt that have such different heat settings.

Maybe someone here has already tried it and could let us know
    how it worked.

8. WildWestDesigns

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Sometimes you have to experiment on things yourself. Even if someone else has done it, they might have had to do other things that take practice to get the hang of.

Not trying to be a smartass here, but there are some things that do have to be done on your own.

Oddly enough, trying to think ahead has gotten me into trouble a time or two, not often, but it has.

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    The times and temperatures give for various thermal material are ball park minimums. You can crank it up a bit for most any media with no ill effect.

But if you're really worried about it, do the high time and temperature media first then do the lower time/temperature media. That way you're not exposing the lower rated media to the higher rated environment.

10. Fivestar

Fivestar Member

Aug 7, 2009
    You can mix and match those brands together with no problems. Set your temp at 325 and press.

11. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    if you can put the one that has a higher temp on first. if not then that is ok, the temp will not affect the vinyl already on the shirt once it cools down.

just dont fold it until it is cold.

12. Mike_Koval

Mike_Koval Active Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Uniontown, PA
    Mixing and matching vinyl is fine. I recommend pressing the higher temp first then the lower temp.

I would also recommend performing a test if possible as well. While most heat applied materials will work with the next brand, there is still a chance that it will not. Also be sure that when doing multi colors, be sure that the base layer is not a PVC based vinyl. PVC is is good for one color only.