• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mobil Gas

OlsonSigns601

We've got a gas station in an area that we service that started out as bulb replacement that has now escalated into changing sign panels on their pylon sign.

Job details were to remove the existing panels and replace them with new panels which describe the new selection of fuel.

So upon pricing this job out we got a call from another sign shop saying we couldn't do the job because they own the sign and they might let us install it but they would be the company that would have to make the signs.

My guy who answered said he was suspicious of the lady because she said that the sign panels had to be a specific pantone. Which is funny because they are not that color nor look like they were ever that specific blue in the first place.

Anyway, this company said they own the sign but the guys at the station said they own the sign and the property it sits on.

We're not even sure how this other company heard we were giving a bid on this job, but I was just wondering if any of you know if they've dealt with something like this.

Far as I'm concerned: We're not doing anything with the Mobil logo and if the customer can obtain a sign permit and pay us. I really don't care what these other people say. Figure that's a problem for the gas station owner and this other company who says they have exclusive rights to the sign.

John in Cali

Most likely your customer asked for an estimate from the local authorized Mobil vendor, and showed them your quote. Dealers are required to use authorized vendors for their signs, and they must follow the branding guidelines Mobil has set. Your client could be fined by Mobil for not using an authorized vendor.

Mobil is one of the few oil companies that retrieve the old signs when a station is rebranded. That could be where the misunderstanding about ownership of the signs might be coming from. It is true you could do the job, but the client might run into trouble with Mobil. Your client needs to have a chat with his rep.

You have 2 options that I can see. First, contact the client's rep, and try to become an authorized vendor, which is not an easy task. Second, work with the vendor that contacted you. Let them manufacture the faces for your client, and contract for the installation, which is where the money is anyway. The markup for signs is generally low. Hopefully you can develop a relationship with the vendor and contract future installation work.