• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mobile edition of signs 101 ........

PMG

Fred will 101 have a mobile edition for the users of the site in the near future ? :toasting:

TheSnowman

I would stinkin LOVE THIS! Especially if it happens next week! HA!

I'm going to Disney for a week, and would love to catch up on the board while I'm standing in line waiting.

ProWraps

yeah i do that to. but mobile edition on iphone would be about a majillion times faster and more could be veiwed on the screen at once.

R08

I can view most things on my samsung omnia including signs101 but the mobile editions are way leaner and easier to use.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The short answer is that there isn't one at this time.

The longer answer is that vBulletin (our forum software) is in beta for their latest version and it is a major update. The jury is out on when and IF we will go through it. I suspect at some point it will supply templates for mobile devices but a number of the changes to their version 4 are more than a little troubling and could be very troubling in what it would do to our current way of presenting Signs 101 to all members.

To further complicate things, our portal software will almost certainly never be updated with such templates due to the owners poor health and the loss of his development team.

We will be watching the situation develop but the future look and feature set of Signs 101 is very up in the air right now.

S

scarface

Works as it does on the desktop on my new Motorola Droid. Same with the iPhone

rcook99

Works fine on my BB Storm.

Maybe you IPHONE users should consider an upgrade to the BB Storm instead of making Fred go through all that work.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Doyle

It is not that it doesn't work as-is on mobile devices, it is the fact that there is a way to format the information to be EASILY viewed and navigated on a smaller screen. Right now, when I view the site on my blackberry, there is a LOT of scrolling and zooming in/out to see things and it is usually a waste of time.

I have already talked with Fred about this before, because I think it would be a great addition to the site. Not sure about others, but I always have my blackberry in my pocket and would be on Signs101 a lot more if if were easier to navigate on mobile devices (not sure I would ever get any work done though).

A great example as to how this can be done with a vBulletin forum is the mobile version of crackberry.com.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It isn't anything I'm opposed to, it's more a matter of not having the technical ability to implement it or any staff or freelancer to do it for me. There's more than just vBulletin involved. There is a portal, the photo gallery from Photopost and other applications coming soon which are running to deliver what you see on your monitor.

Given the choice of continuing to run our portal where navigation is centered, active thread blocks are displayed, banner ads are delivered, etc. or showing just the forums so we can accommodate mobile users ... the mobile users lose.

Then, even it it could be worked out, we are left with having most hacks wiped out everytime there is an upgrade to any of the software we license ... which happens at least once a month on average. Which is why we don't do much in the way of hacks to anything here.

So all I can say is that if we ever see that it can be done as a supported feature of all our software, we will do it. But it will be a long time coming, if ever, as far as I can tell.