• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mold-on Graphics solution. (Mold in quality alternatives?)

natedawg9640

Hi Guys. Unsure where this belong actually but I have a customer who is looking for a custom graphics solution on polypropylene items such as coolers. Also, the areas to be decorated may be textured. AND to top it all off, it needs to be low run, like... one-off custom each time.

I have seen something called mold-on imaging where it appears that a design is screened onto a tranfer film, then placed and hand burnished to the item and post heated to a cure temp to fix the graphic permanently. However, if it's screen based, that doesn't work with the one-off needs in an economical fashion.

My other thought was di-sublimation but with the items being bulky and awkwardly shaped, they wouldnt be able to fit in a press or anything of that nature.

Additional thought is just a vinyl with a high bond adhesive and a hardy over laminate... but the wear and tear that the item sees might be quite excessive and the customer is hoping for something more permanent and aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention that adhesion to that plastic is difficult even on glossy surfaces.

Does anyone have any input or experience with this?
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Nate

natedawg9640

The intent is to offer the end user to customize the graphic with their own logo, name, image, etc. Not just add a pattern or color.

Biker Scout

Water Transfer Printing can re-produce anything you can print... even logos and photos. It's not just for cammo and real-tree anymore. :cool:

natedawg9640

how are the images generated? The other concern would be that hydrographics need post processing, such as a clear coat. where as this dye transfer mold-on stuff does not. basically, it dyes the plastic itself.

Biker Scout

The images are printed on a film, like vinyl. Then floated onto a surface, sprayed for separation. You dip the part and allow to dry. And yeah, you'd need to clear coat it afterwards with just a sprayer and some clear.

natedawg9640

i'm familiar with the process, but how is the print itself generated? is it inkjet printed? water based ink? solver? UV? does the carrying liner come on a roll? in a sheet? etc... it may be an option as we are already assembling a dip tank to do patterned covers... but the ability to do one off custom stuff is the issue... my other thought was to custom make a UV print boom.