• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monday Rant(s)

OADesign

I wonder if anyone else experiences these issues. Or is it just me? Sales guy gets project. Something we haven't done before .Then EVERYONE gets involved. Brain storming.Googling. Suggesting. I remember this one unrelated project that I feel telling an anecdotal story about'ing.

Before you know it. Its lunch time or EoB. No actual work has been done. Then it gets to my desk. "Have you seen this before? I can't find it or I don't know how to get it done."

So in my mind, I'm like, "So this is what you guys have been kibitzing about all day?"
I ask, loud enough so everyone that is working on THIS task, and not their normal tasks, "Has anyone asked the client?" Everyone's face erupts in either amazement or dumbfoundedness. I ask client for details. I get a full on spec sheet. often with previous vendor information and pricing.

So rather than just asking the client a few simple questions and getting an answer, you would rather burn a half day with research?

Does anyone else run into this aversion to asking questions? I mean that's basic sales right? Or am I missing something?

Moving on, do you cross train your employees? I don't mean, like having your front desk person in the boom lift, wiring power supplies. But I mean making sure everyone in the shop has a good idea of the overall workings of stuff in the shop they spend 10 hours a day in? It's super frustrating and its like the sky is falling. And everyone is lost because one of the team is out for what ever reason (illness, vaca etc.) Not saying everyone should have all the answers. But if you've been working in an average shop for 6+ months you should know the difference between say print / cut vinyl and regular cut vinyl.Right? Or at least know where, in the library of quotes and invoices, that this shop has accumulated over the [fill number of years your shop has been open} to look to for answers. But no. It goes full stop. Lets call the guy on vacation to ask him about a work in progress. Lets call the installer, who is out in a lift truck on another project, 25ft in the air and jibberjab about what he saw when he built that one sign, last month. I don't know. I guess its just me. I pride my self in being self sufficient. Not having all the answers. But at least knowing where to look and pay attention to the things going on around me so that I have a good understanding of the process. And if I can't find the answers. At least I can compile a list of sensible questions and or possibly solutions.

Its seems, sometimes, like cognitive ability and problem solving skills are lacking in spaces I frequent. How do I fix this? lol. Ok that its. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Damnit. It's only Monday....

Last edited:

Andy D

Not really the same thing, but one of my gripes about sign salespeople is they are hired with sales background but don't
know the 1st thing about signs and/or graphics, so they have no idea of what questions to ask and can't recognize a huge issue when they're staring right at it.
Or worse, the salespeople who think it's fine to walk away from a project after the sale, thinking the other departments will figure out all of the particulars of the job.