• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monet Canvas Problems with Color

klingsdesigns

I am stumped. Its either a hit or a miss. Some pictures I print turn out awesome, and others look like garbage. Some come out really dark and the blacks are all blotchy and not a smooth transition to the next color.
I think I have tried everything. Anyone have any ideas. I finally got my problem fixed with black and white. I had to turn the picture to greyscale and then print in density control only.

But now my problem is doing full color ones.
It also prints so dark that peoples eyes sometimes look like a black circle.

Printing on a verscamm vp540

thanks!

Attachments

• blotch.JPG
    blotch.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 57
  • blotchy.jpg
    blotchy.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 84
I am stumped. Its either a hit or a miss. Some pictures I print turn out awesome, and others look like garbage. Some come out really dark and the blacks are all blotchy and not a smooth transition to the next color.
I think I have tried everything. Anyone have any ideas. I finally got my problem fixed with black and white. I had to turn the picture to greyscale and then print in density control only.

But now my problem is doing full color ones.
It also prints so dark that peoples eyes sometimes look like a black circle.

Printing on a verscamm vp540

thanks!

The issues that you are seeing are directly related to the Media Profile that you are using to print with. In other words, it is a color management issue. The Media Profile is causing the darker shadows to 'plug' which results in darker tones jumping directly to black rather than through darker shadows. This is sometimes referred to as posterizing.

The preferred options are to either:
1. Re-linearize the printer (via the Media Profile).
2. Re-build an entirely new Media Profile that includes new single-channel ink limits, linearization, total ink limits, and ICC information.

Both of these would require a measurement instrument (either a densitometer or a spectrophotometer respectively, depending on which option you choose).

Plan B would be to search for different canned profiles that may provide you with results that you like better.

klingsdesigns

The issues that you are seeing are directly related to the Media Profile that you are using to print with. In other words, it is a color management issue. The Media Profile is causing the darker shadows to 'plug' which results in darker tones jumping directly to black rather than through darker shadows. This is sometimes referred to as posterizing.

The preferred options are to either:
1. Re-linearize the printer (via the Media Profile).
2. Re-build an entirely new Media Profile that includes new single-channel ink limits, linearization, total ink limits, and ICC information.

Both of these would require a measurement instrument (either a densitometer or a spectrophotometer respectively, depending on which option you choose).

Plan B would be to search for different canned profiles that may provide you with results that you like better.

This is what neeschen recommends. Why would it work sometimes and other times it looks terrible?
Is there a descent profile set up in versaworks that would work better? I am using MAC7.

This is what neeschen recommends. Why would it work sometimes and other times it looks terrible?
Is there a descent profile set up in versaworks that would work better? I am using MAC7.

Best practices in color management would dictate that the optimal results possible would be obtainable by building a custom Media Profile on your machine, in your environment, on the media in question.

The output from any canned (pre-built) profiles is a hit-or-miss proposition, the results which are determined from testing and trials.

klingsdesigns

Anyone know of a good matte canvas to print on with a vp-540 that has a great profile? I will try anything. Monet canvas isn't doing it for me.

klingsdesigns

What's the best canvas out there to print on with a versacamm? I am ready to try something else then the monet canvas from neschen

phototec

Every photograph is different, you need to use Photoshop and the CAMERA RAW filter to adjust your images to all have the same highlight, medium density, shadow, and contrast values or every time you print an image you will get different results like you are getting.

I can't teach you this, you need to use Google and YouTube to learn how to make a good photographic IMAGE to send to your printer!

The printer is dumb, it only prints from the file you send to it. What looks good on your monitor, doesn't always print well.

Do you have any photography background?

I spent 20 years in darkrooms making photographic prints, almost every NEGATIVE was different and photographic papers had different contrast levels to match the negative so you would NOT have the shadows go total black like what you are experiencing.

If you adjust the contrast in your image to match your printer, you will get good results on any media.

klingsdesigns

Every photograph is different, you need to use Photoshop and the CAMERA RAW filter to adjust your images to all have the same highlight, medium density, shadow, and contrast values or every time you print an image you will get different results like you are getting.

I can't teach you this, you need to use Google and YouTube to learn how to make a good photographic IMAGE to send to your printer!

The printer is dumb, it only prints from the file you send to it. What looks good on your monitor, doesn't always print well.

Do you have any photography background?

I spent 20 years in darkrooms making photographic prints, almost every NEGATIVE was different and photographic papers had different contrast levels to match the negative so you would NOT have the shadows go total black like what you are experiencing.

If you adjust the contrast in your image to match your printer, you will get good results on any media.

I always thought it was a profile issue. I will mess with it in photoshop and see what results I can get.

Edge Remover

It is definitely in your color management setup. You had to missclicked something in your RIP software or you have really bad color profile (once I had one where 95-100 percent was flat). All others profile works good ? Have you tried them ? Have you tried to print scale CMYK 1-100 percent, is it linear ?