• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monitor UPGRADE Technical Help Please!

S

SignTech

Hello everyone.

As of last week I have upgraded my whole design center. Now the last piece is the new monitor.

Here is the question. I was told to BE SURE that before I purchase the new monitor to make sure my computer can handle it.

The monitor I am buying is: HP w2207H seen here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8661646&type=product&id=1196470439109

My system is a DELL Optiplex 170L which is running a SONY 17" LCD just fine ... currently. It has an onboard Graphics Controller INTEL (R) 82865G

Will this computer and the current graphics card handle the NEW monitor?

Yes I know I NEED to up grade this computer badly.

Suggestions, Ideas, Input, ?????

Thanks,

Mike

GK

Check your resolutions on the video card that you have installed. Your most likely going to be running the older analog style cables and not the digital kind since its an older system. If I am not mistaken that model is a form factor style system as well so I am going to assume its running onboard video as well.

S

SignTech

Check your resolutions on the video card that you have installed. Your most likely going to be running the older analog style cables and not the digital kind since its an older system. If I am not mistaken that model is a form factor style system as well so I am going to assume its running onboard video as well.

You are right George it is On Board. I believe it is ??? 9 Pin ???

GK

You are right George it is On Board. I believe it is ??? 9 Pin ???

Well the monitors cables are definitely compatible according to the specs. Its the screens resolutions that might be a little off. On-board video cards tend to s*ck when it comes to nice wide screens unless it was built for that in the first place. If it doesn't want to accept the monitors native resolutions, it may want to smush the picture on the screen a little. We actually had an onboard video card go the other day and the only way to change the default motherboard settings is in the bios (no jumpers on the mother board)...problem being...we couldn't get the screen to come up...do change the bios defaults lol so we had to run a key set from the motherboard company that actually ran a script to automate it so we didn't have to see the screen and couldn't install an after market card =/ ...what a process.

S

SignTech

Arggggggggggggggggggggggg I had a feeling I may have to get a new system that is ready for the new HDMI monitor ... I need a new computer anyway ....... just was going to wait until summer and put this computer in the back office ............ hmmmmmmmmm I smell burning money ..........

Baz

I have the same monitor at home. I love it for watching DVDs or playing games. I'm not convinced on bringing it to the shop for designing though. I work allot with Illustrator and Photoshop and this monitor i found the edges to be glowing a bit. If i sit at a certain angle, the top of the screen goes darker.

I'm in the market for a new designing pc and for a monitor i'm still opting for a big a$$ CRT.

S

SignTech

I have the same monitor at home. I love it for watching DVDs or playing games. I'm not convinced on bringing it to the shop for designing though. I work allot with Illustrator and Photoshop and this monitor i found the edges to be glowing a bit. If i sit at a certain angle, the top of the screen goes darker.

I'm in the market for a new designing pc and for a monitor i'm still opting for a big a$$ CRT.

Glad to here you have one. Good insight. Let me know what you end up doing. I am going to hold off for a little bit now ........ Mike

hydo1

Mike, I have an older version of the monitor (HP w2207) that I do design work on and I do see a lot of color shifting depending on the angle I sit at. Kind of frustrating. I end up sending stuff over to my RIP station with a 19" CRT to double check colors before printing. Long story short I do not recommend.

S

SignTech

Mike, I have an older version of the monitor (HP w2207) that I do design work on and I do see a lot of color shifting depending on the angle I sit at. Kind of frustrating. I end up sending stuff over to my RIP station with a 19" CRT to double check colors before printing. Long story short I do not recommend.

That's why I post on s101 .......... great insight. Thank you, I will hold off, my SONY LCD is actually great just too small .....

John M

FWIW, your computer will support that resolution so you're ok to buy any monitor you like as long as it has a VGA input.

S

SignTech

FWIW, your computer will support that resolution so you're ok to buy any monitor you like as long as it has a VGA input.

Thanks John.

It is VGA in ...... but now I'm up in the air with the HP monitor based on actual use feedback from others. I look at this thing 6-10 hours a day ... and color shift would suck ....... as well as pixel issues. The SONY I have now rocks ..... but it's only 17" and I am getting older LOL and I need a bigger screen.

This SONY was $500.00 bucks new and sell on eBay now for $100.00 bucks lol .......... Typical.

So what are you gonna sell me?

Rhino

It may be money better spent to buy a second monitor and a good graphics card. Run 2 monitors side by side..

John M

The worst trait of LCDs is their viewing angles, both "max" and "ideal" are far less than a CRT monitor.

The Chimei 22in at NewEgg I mentioned in the other thread is the only 22 inch I have a lot of hands-on experience with. I've never had a better monitor without spending 4-5 times as much money.

The sign shop here uses one with a secondary 17in LCD on the counter to show the design to the customer. One college bought one for every member of one department. I finally got one at home to replace an old 19in CRT. My brother uses one flanked by two Dell 17s and the Chimei makes them look downright dingy and old in comparison.

Your PC doesn't appear to support any type of graphics card, meaning there's no way to give it a worthwhile upgrade in that area. I stock $50 AGP cards that have one VGA and one DVI output but in your case you're stuck with onboard VGA only.