• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moral Dilema

STSMotorsports

I live in CT, about an hour away from Newtown and about an hour away from Boston. I have a lot of people/business' that want to commemorate all of the events that happened lately and I just have a hard time figuring out what I should charge these people. Should I look at these as regular everyday projects? There's a part of me that feels bad charging full price but at the end of the day I am running a business. Thanks for any input.

fmg

I Too live in CT and about 20 mins from Newtown. I too had a lot of requests for commemorative products that I charged and there was no bad feelings whatsoever.Biz is Biz.

tsgstl

if it is a commemorative death decal of a family member then worry about it. If it is just someone wanting to show their respect, treat them like the full paying customer they are.

HulkSmash

they're a customer, charge them. You're in business. You can take a percentage off, but don't hurt yourself in the process.

good luck.

signage

Good point Colorado!

Do you think the funeral home, casket company or cemetery give them the services for free?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It is business.

Like most said, you're not in business to give things away or even constantly discount them. Some of the more expensive signs we've done are the cast bronze plaques and all of them are always willing to pay their fair share towards 'Lost Ones'.

It's not a normal thing for two such happenings to take place so quickly, so if you're having a tough go of it..... do what you think is the right thing to do, but make sure you get enough so you can keep your doors open or they'll just find the next guy to do it.

We're doing one right now for a fallen deputy sheriff who died in the line of duty about two years ago...... just before his first child was born. The area around here is doing all kinds of things for him. We charged our normal rate and then I knocked about 40% off. They were all grateful and said I didn't have to, but I wanted to. You do what's in your heart. You can never go wrong following your heart.

Marlene

I think it would be up to you. also it would depend on who they are. if it is a person who wants to have message of support in a decal or whatever, just charge them if that feels right for you. if it is the parent of one of the children, I'd give it to them just because it would feel right to do that. no need to discount others unless you decide to. they are coming to you because you can make what they want, they aren't asking for it for free.