• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

More opaque white

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I have a Roland Soljet XR 640 printing from Versaworks. Anyone know some things I can do to increase the opacity of the white ink besides increasing the quality. Thanks!

hyperdrive

You can double print the white .
A little more detail would help. Are you trying to achieve opacity on single pass?
Shake the cartridge for 30-40 seconds before printing..

I also found the roland ink limits are WAY too low on 2 pass printing.

I'd be happy to help you get going ..we struggled for quite a while with ours.

We are getting very good results now, we out apply all
our stuff on black/dark surfaces.

Scott

Last edited:

rydods

I tried switching to Max density US and it didn't help. It also made the black within the print really dull.

What I'm trying to do is print a more opaque white than what I'm getting now which is about 20%, with one pass. The only colors in the print are white with a black outline. Black is turning out perfect!
I tried passing once then going back with a 2nd pass with just white and printing at high quality with the same results, about 40% plus a lot of extra time.
I'm ok with extra time but I'd like to avoid it if possible because I have 2500 5x7 decals to print.
I also shook the cartridge but for only about 15 seconds. I'll try shaking longer today.
I also tried increasing just the white limit and that didn't help any.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Ryan

rydods

So I shook the white ink cartridge for vigorously for about 30 seconds and that definitely helped get me up to about 40% (double from where I was in standard mode) Is there something else I can do to get it up to be more opaque? Thanks

hyperdrive

Im using oracal 3651 to print on.. Not sure that makes much of a difference. You probably need a new cartridge if it is a used up one..You MUST make sure to shake at least 2 x's a day.
I had the same exact issues..New cartride,shake at least 30 seconds.. If not happy with opacity, run the under base at high quality, let dry, then go over with lw/cmyk That is our routine. We place our decals on black surfaces so opacity is very important.

You can reach us tonight after 8 at 570 3328227

Scott

rydods

Thanks Scott. I can see that doing the routine you do would get me a higher opacity. I'll try a new cartridge and if I need a more opaque white I'll use your method. Thanks again for the help!

Ryan