Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Cost Effect (Cheapest) Monitor For Design And Printing?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by player, Jun 23, 2017.

1. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    My main monitor made some loud snapping/firecracker sounds and then died.

It was a 24" Samsung, but instead of being 1980 x 1080 it was 1920 x 1200. This made it about 1" taller than a regular 24" 1920 x 1080.

So am looking at replacing it. Any cost effective suggestions? Accurate colours are preferred. I have a calibration device, which I have never used...

Tags:
  2. Pippin Decals

Pippin Decals Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Ca.

I also use a samsung monitor LED i got from costco earlier this year, And i use a spyder 5 elite and Spyder 5 Printer calibrator and everything matches perfect..I will stay with a samsung and the spyder.. Depending on your calibrator ,it should do you fine if you go back with a newer samsung.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

I would look at the Dell Ultrasharps with IPS and Color Premier. Adobe RGB, sRGB, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I have the Eye1 big kit. Does monitors, printers, projection screens etc. I am not sold on the Samsung as I had a repair earlier under warranty, and now it's DOA.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  5. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Thanks. I will look into them. I have not heard of Color Premier. Must investigate.

6. I've been running Dell Ultrasharp 24 monitors (U2415) for over a year now and love them. They are 16:10 and come pre-calibrated. You can get them for around $250, so they're tough to beat from a bang for the buck standpoint.

7. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Thanks. Here in Canada they are $420 CAD. I will be looking at the different Ultrasharp monitors. Some are up to $600+ for the same size.

edit: I don't think the U2415 has the Color Premier feature.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta

The Dell UltraSharps routinely go on sale .... just keep an eye on the site weekly and you will eventually see the model you want discounted quite nicely. Yes, even in Canada. Just make sure your starting point is dell.ca

9. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    The Color Premier only comes with certain Ultrasharps? Is it software?

10. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I found a review that replaces the Dell with the hp z27n as their top pick.

11. SignBurst PCs

Those monitors come color-calibrated. And yes, there is an application.

12. SignBurst PCs

I guess that I should mention that for best results in Premier Color, you will need a GPU capable of 10Bit OpenGL, not 10Bit DirectX. This means if you are using an Nvidia card, it must be a Quadro using a DisplayPort connection. It is driver restricted.

But even without an expensive Quadro, you will still have good results with 8 Bit OpenGL with Premier Color. It is up to you if it is worth the extra investment in a Quadro for the 10bpc vs 8bpc. Wide gamuts don't necessarily require 10bpc.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  13. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    How important is the Premier color option? I can get a Del U2415 24" monitor for $350-ish CAD, but the one with Color Premier start at $700 CAD.

What is Color Premier?

Thanks

14. SignBurst PCs

If you are looking for a quality 24" at a good price, look up a U2412M on B&H Photo. It is a slightly older model, but they usually have it priced well.

15. SignBurst PCs

The U2415 isn't a bad choice. You would be safe with that.