• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Most used digital print vinyl

Awards+

I was using Oracal 3165RA at my last place of work. Is there any reason not to stick with this material? We were using it for all our outdoor signage and I was very happy with it.

Thanks

Signed Out

we like 3551 for outdoor signage... yes it's more expensive but it's rated for 2 more years but it is also good for vehicles decals and even wraps although we preffer 3951ra for them.

Awards+

we like 3551 for outdoor signage... yes it's more expensive but it's rated for 2 more years but it is also good for vehicles decals and even wraps although we preffer 3951ra for them.

I really like the rapid air but I see you can get the 3551RA but it's more money yet. Is the 3551 worth the extra money? I want to remain competitive but not sell an inferior product.

Malkin

3165RA - Most used for short term work

IJ180cv3 - Most used for longer term work or applications needing less edge shrinking

Awards+

We use a ton of Arlon 4560gtx

The 3165RA and the 4560GTX are similar in specs and price but I choose the Oracal based on reviews I read online. There were complaints about the 4560GTX curling up on the edges after 6-8 months but they may have fixed that problem assuming it was a bad batch or something.

Signed Out

Honestly we havent used the 3165 but we do feel more comfortable with a high performance vinly and we like its versitility.

If you are only using that vinyl for flat signage then why do you get the vinyl with rapid air? I assume you have a laminator why not just mount the vinyl on your substrate with it?

Awards+

3165RA - Most used for short term work

IJ180cv3 - Most used for longer term work or applications needing less edge shrinking

Both of these vinyls are rated at 5yrs? Don't get me wrong I know the 3M is good stuff I'm just tring to justify the cost difference / performance.

Charlie J

The 3165RA and the 4560GTX are similar in specs and price but I choose the Oracal based on reviews I read online. There were complaints about the 4560GTX curling up on the edges after 6-8 months but they may have fixed that problem assuming it was a bad batch or something.

I've only had 1 or 2 instances that I know of where we've had an issue with edge curling. The main reason we use it instead of the oracal is that our supplier that carries the arlon offers daily delivery to our area.

Awards+

Honestly we havent used the 3165 but we do feel more comfortable with a high performance vinly and we like its versitility.

If you are only using that vinyl for flat signage then why do you get the vinyl with rapid air? I assume you have a laminator why not just mount the vinyl on your substrate with it?

No laminator yet so really nice to have no bubbles. I often need help with large sign application and any newbie can help with the RA films.

Malkin

Both of these vinyls are rated at 5yrs? Don't get me wrong I know the 3M is good stuff I'm just tring to justify the cost difference / performance.

One is a calendared, the other is cast. This makes a difference when exposed to the elements for extended time. Also cast vinyl will have way less shrink at a full bleed edge.

I have seen various ratings for these materials from different vendors, but experience tells me the Oracal is overrated and the 3M slightly underrated.

strypguy

I've used alot of 3165RA on outdoor signage. Many have been up for years with no complaints so far.

John

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
We'll use a variety of different vinyls depending on the life span needed. Plus we laminate just about everything.

We use 3M IJ180cv3 on any vehicle graphics or vehicle wrap jobs. It costs more money, but it is far easier to work with (and holds up better) than most other digital print vinyls.

MikePro

We use 3M IJ180cv3 on any vehicle graphics or vehicle wrap jobs. It costs more money, but it is far easier to work with (and holds up better) than most other digital print vinyls.

+1 this. I also substitute oracal 3551RA for most jobs i don't need to conform.
top2 digital printables, by far.

Awards+

We'll use a variety of different vinyls depending on the life span needed. Plus we laminate just about everything.

Cast and calendared, I did not think about that. This is going to be a thought one but I'm thinking I will offer both with say a 20-30% price difference.