• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motherboards and PCI Slots ? ? ?

Replicator

I need a motherboard with at least 6 PCI slots and preferably up to 9 PCI slots.

I know they used to make monsters like this . . . Anyone know of a beast like this that is still made in the good 'ol US of A ? ? ?

Ken

Did you say Good 'ol PRC?
YOu gotta be kidding...
what the heck you need so many slots for? The toaster will operate with one click...lol
Cheers!
Ken

Conor Knoxx

first, I don't know of any North American made Mobo's. Not one...

second, yeah.. with all the stuff that comes "on board" these days, finding more than 4 pci slots... well.. good luck with that. I don't think there's a market for it - so none are currently produced.

but I'm curious too.. why so many?

Replicator

I can get an expansion box, but there like $700 - $3000

I need to hook up 6 old Camm-1 plotters with parallel cables . . .

Ken

OK..and how many immigrants to weed the output?
I'm just kidding Marc...Best of luck...you can get some cheap boxes to do this...shoot, I'd just get some 200 dollar boxes and do it that way.
Get 10 while your at it...
Cheers!
Ken

Marc,

If you need PCI slots, try and look for server boards. Second, if you need to run 6 LPT cables, you would only need three LPT cards (as many are/were dual LPT). If you need PCI for anything else, you may want to look at upgrading those cards if they are available in a PCI-e configuration.

I would think that the bigger issue is getting add-on cards that will want to play nice - some can be a real PITA.

Do I dare ask what you are going to do with six plotters running at once? :smile:

Ken

Oh.."I think he's Turning Japanese....
I really think so...dah na na na da nuh da nah da ..."
We can only pray for his soul...
LOL
Ken

OldPaint

seems to me all you need is a mother board with 3-4 slots...AND A COUPLE A/B switches.......
look at tiger direct, www.mwave.com i build my computers.....so you can get more slots if you need them.

Ken

Yes...I'm STILL drinkin..not from the still...but yes...
What you are NOT telling us is the end-use...and that's your business..However...Posing a question without all details leads to a lot of conjecture..and wasted time....
So...?
Cheers...ken

D

DARLAK

leads to a lot of conjecture..and wasted time....

HUH???

ken, if you feel like your 'wasting' your time, then it's your own fault - don't respond......

Air Art Girl

Yes...I'm STILL drinkin..not from the still...but yes...
What you are NOT telling us is the end-use...and that's your business..However...Posing a question without all details leads to a lot of conjecture..and wasted time....
So...?
Cheers...ken

Ken, this for a project of mine that has nothing to do with the sign industry. We are just trying to find the best way to connect 5 parallels to newer technology.

HUH???

ken, if you feel like your 'wasting' your time, then it's your own fault - don't respond......

Wow Darlak, thanks for that one!!

hammered

As OP stated, the standard 3-4 PCI slot MB hooked to a couple few A/B switches will be the only way to do this without taking out a loan.

OADesign

I had the issue with one of my older machines. (years ago, P3) i came across a board designed to run a server (ibm MX series) that had 7 pci slots and served its served its purpose. these days you will be had press to find such a beast. I got that one used so the price was right. now a days those boards are rare and pricey. These are usually these are used for other types of systems (i.e. audio processing machines servers, phone systems)

Long story short i think you should find another way to get it done...

OldPaint

you dont make much sence...are you sayin youre gona have 6 CAMM-1 all cutting the same thing....all AT THE SAME TIME???

i got a CX-300 and it has a REPEAT mode. you send info to it once from computer, and then you can recut right from the plotter......WITHOUT THE COMPUTER...

hammered

Well you could go with a ABIT KA7 Slot-A Motherboard. Ive never liked them for performance reasons but it fits your need.The only other thing I know you could do is drop that MB in a server case with more expansion slots and get Dual parallel adapter cards like these Link Link Link