• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motherboards and PCI Slots ? ? ?

Pro Image

Could you run USB to Parallel converters.....I use 2 USB to serial for my cutters.........Get you a 10 port powered hub and your set......

By the time you finish, you may still end up with an easy few hundred bucks in this machine unless you scrounge up some old parts. With your SignLab, you should be able to send all sorts of jobs to multiple machines via their spooler. The link below is for a Gigabyte that has 5 PCI, plus the PCI-e slots for video, and includes an on-borad LPT. That would give you a total of six possible LPT's. The availability of ATA and SATA will make a hard drive easy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128084

project of mine that has nothing to do with the sign industry

Good for you! Innovative ideas are great. :thumb:

Service Sign Co

6 PNC 1210'S what would you use that for,let me guess, Heat press material? I would have 1 for every commonly used color of vinyl:thumb:

Last edited:

OldPaint

and you want to do this off 1 COMPUTER???? sounds silly to me....if you had 2-3 computers.....and 2 -3 plotters hooked to them....would seem to be the simplest way to go.....and LESS PROBLEMS....
sounds to me you got "controll issues")))))))

particleman

Could you run USB to Parallel converters.....I use 2 USB to serial for my cutters.........Get you a 10 port powered hub and your set......

This is by far the way I would go. 6 parallel cards may not play nice together. USB route you will have alot less $$$ in it and it will probably work as good or better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822998005

I have used one of these before with a plotter, worked well (still in use). Jobs are piped through the windows driver/windows print spooler with it since it creates a virtual printer port.

D

DARLAK

sounds to me you got "controll issues"

sounds like they need to have one control, synchronicity seems to be the key here.

that has nothing to do with the sign industry.

a bunch of old 'cheap' CAMM 1's....

sounds like a techo-science-artsy project...

i want in....

Bob Gilliland

The Asus P4P800-SE or P4P800-E Deluxe offers five PCI slots (plus an AGP and ASUS WiFi slot). Doesn’t get what you’re after on the original post (short on slot count and they are not US made), however, combined with three (or four/five) SIIG CyberParallel Dual IO cards or Lava Dual Parallel PCI IO cards will get you the parallel port count mentioned in post five.

Should be able to source either a “SE” or “deluxe” board via eBay. Been using SIIG and Lava I/O cards for not only my own builds for years, but others sign shops as well. Lava drivers usually have provisions for a bit more end user configuration and control verse SIIG drivers.

Good luck not matter what path you chose to travel down!

Bob Gilliland

Took a trip down to the basement after making the previous post. Amazing what you can find it the “outdated box of goodies” and the memories they bring back (some good, some not so good). :rolleyes:

Long ago I had a Thunder GC-HE S4520 setup as a server. Board was quad 603 socket based; I only ever had two in it. This thing has eight PCI slots (7 @ 64bit, 1 @ 32bit). Integrated Adaptec Ultra 160 SCSI controller as well as an integrated ATI Rage video chip (and dual LAN controllers). This was the foundation to a smoking machine at one point.

I also had another system based around a Tyan Tiger S1832 dual Slot 1 board. It only has five PCI slots but also includes, hold your breath, two legacy ISA slots! Also included, at the time, “blistering fast” AGP slot. Lots of dust on this one.

Found some notes on a SuperMicro P6DGH. Never had one but if the comments are correct, it offers nine PCI slots plus two ISA and one AGP. The notes don’t reveal why I never ended up getting this board. Might be worth trying to source via eBay or elsewhere.

Replicator

Found a board that has 9 PCI slots, but I'm gonna go a different route as I have experienced

that most boards will have conflicts with more than 3 PCI slots running at the same time . . .

Ken

"Most boards will have conflict"..am I still waisting my time?...
Sorry if I offended you Marc & AA Girl...There's gotta be a better way...
Cheers!
How about our new merchant member with the computers?..I forget the company...
Ken