• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moto-X / Dirt Bike Graphics Material Supplier

heyskull

Since the start of the year we have been printing Moto-X / Dirt Bike Graphics.
We found a supplier of material which to our belief far exceeds the requirement for applying to the low energy panels on these bike.
The material is manufactured by LG the print material is LD3888G and Laminated with GV10-70

The problem is we are having failures with this material, and ends up coming away from the panels and the adhesive failing!

We have put a lot of time and money into organising this and thought we had found a more economical and nicer to use material than the expensive Convex material.

Has anyone else used this material as we cannot figure why it is having failures or have our supplier mis-sold us material?!!
Luckily our suppliers are marketing this material as motorcross shroud graphic material.

We are based in the UK.

Thanks
SC

andy

How are you preparing the panels?

What kind of solvent are you using? How are you applying it? How long are you leaving the cleaned panel before applying the vinyl?

If your prints are not sticking then I suspect the panels have been prepped with the wrong solvent. I don't do any digital print but for some of the adhesives we use it's absolutely crucial to use just one specific type of cleaning solvent to prep the area to be bonded... use anything else and the adhesive will fail, guaranteed.

Check with your supplier which exact solvent you are supposed to be using and do a test. Make sure you get an EXACT set of instructions on how to use the solvent and what other prep processes you should be following.

Generally speaking you need to prep very, very carefully, this stage is THE most important part of any bonding process. When you have cleaned using the right solvent you must leave the panel for at least 15 minutes to allow any solvent residue to evaporate, then you must apply the vinyl immediately.

Another idea would be to try lightly keying your panels... roughing up the surface slightly to create more surface area for the adhesive to bond to. This also helps to cut through any surface gel coats or paint finishes which have been applied over the top of the panels.

You might also find that your panels need to be pre treated with a spray primer or bonding base coat... this is common practice when you need to paint plastics. A primer will bite onto the plastic giving you better adhesion by bonding your vinyl onto the primer not the plastic.

One thing to bear in mind.... your suppliers might be marketing this vinyl for Moto X panels BUT this doesn't mean that they will guarantee it works. Even if you follow their prep and application instructions to the LETTER they will use the excuse that because they did not print the material or apply it, they aren't liable.

This is a disgraceful approach but it's standard practice in the UK I'm afraid.

heyskull

Andy

We have applied customer supplied graphics before without problem and prepped them accordingly. 3 out of the 15 sets already supplied we fitted and they are peeling off!
If you buy sets of other suppliers they do not have this problem.

Weird though as it is, early last year we supplied 2 sets for a guy and they were just printed and laminated with normal 3-5 year vinyl and these are as a good as the day they went on! This shouldn't happen!!!!!

You cannot spray moto-x panels with primer!

The supplier hasn't issued any special preparation instructions for this material!

SC

heyskull

Flame

Buying Convex in the UK is rather expensive, it is about 4-5 times more than what you pay for it!!
So to make this work I have tried to economise on the material!
I only used this as it printed great, laminated great and applied a lot easier than convex.

I have had a reply back from LG and they reckon that the materials my supplier have gave me are not for moto-x graphics!
So I think I have a case for unsuitable supply of materials.

Why do suppliers forget that the label on the back of the material gives away who made it!

SC

TresL

WOW.
Glad I didn't purchase then.
The small samples had an "OK" overlam, but didn't test them on plastic.
As the cost was WAY to high to ship to the US.

GB2

Old Member
I wonder what it would cost to purchase the material here in the US and send it to you? See if you can do a little research and find out.

heyskull

GB2

I have already contacted convex.
What do you pay for it in the US Print Material and Laminate?
Who would like to send me some?
Obviously I will have to pay import on the items but comparing the material I have been sent by APS Convex costs 4 times that in the UK!!!!

SC