• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motocross Graphics.

DiverseSigns

Any printer can specialize in motocross graphics, I've done mutable snowmobile graphics with our Roland vs-540 , if you're looking at buying a printer only for tis purpose a 30" print/cut system will do the job. Main concern would be the material you are going to use.

heyskull

This is a very expensive business to get into with low returns for your effort.
Materials are expensive and a machine to print and then a heavy duty plotter to cut them is a serious cost.

Also on a material note, Convex or Substance are the ONLY ones to use as failures using other materials are an expensive thing to remedy.
I am speaking from experience on this matter.

My advice is outsource work to other suppliers and try and make a mark up.

SC

showie

A lot of hate going on for those trying to break into it.

I'm relatively new *prepares for onslaught of DONT DARE EVEN TRY LITTLE GIRL! replies* but I have a good friend, not sure maybe I'll get to call him a mentor at some point, who has been helping out. His assistance has been invaluable. He recently decided to pull out of the MX Graphics industry and focus more on car wraps, which means we aren't in competition with each other making the relationship easier.

We worked on several print projects before, and when I was strictly freelance during university he sent me over flow work on several occasions (mostly Pro posters and thank you plaque work, but still, work!)

I think that would be the one suggestion I -can- give: get a mentor, specifically one out of your area or one looking to transition to another type of design. You can benefit from his/her experience and chances of them acting like a bag of dicks is considerably lower. Naturally, you need to have something to offer them, lunch perhaps? A few pints or cups of coffee can go a long way.

54warrior

I don't own any printing equipment and will do approximately 25 MX/ATV kits this year. Just side stuff. I've found a quality/reliable shop that I can deal with who treats me right and I make a few bucks. The profit margins aren't that great though, considering the time it takes to design it, get approval, have all the correct sponsor logos (often times having to redraw them from scratch). The place you make some extra money is in the adders, extra number plates, fork graphics, wheel graphics, etc.

yellowdawg

It is a hard industry!

In 1997 I started a company in the motocross graphics industry, at that time there was aprox 3-5 of us specializing in CUSTOM MX graphics, we used all means to print had several Gerber Edge printers which were the ticket back then for this industry, we did and still do sub surface screen printing made lots of money, had over 1500 support riders helped several companies get started, made decals for everybody from No Fear - Honda Riders Club of America with that being said in 2006 we sold our company and looking back now my wife and I are 3 times better off. In order to make it in this industry you have to be IN it I raced for years and knew ALOT of people which really helped, but you have to be IN the click to make it. Now there are so many people doing it that every time you pick up a new magazine or see a kids bike there is another logo on there or a new add. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me I can and will help.

discountdecals

I'm in the same boat :) mx quad road bike templates flexi sign coreldraw problem

Hi Folks, i'm in the same boat...
I'm starting into the mx/ quad and atc decals. I've bought a large selection from a guy. I'm running a new tjet 1671c print and cut with laminator. I have the equiopment a few months now but arranging the software into workable files. My main problem i notice is that the files are made in coreldraw yet i'm ripping and printing in flexisign. I havent invested in the materials yet as i want to make all iof my mistakes in standard cheapo vinyl first. Are there any tips and tricks you guys can offer?
I understad it can be expensive but the way the internet namely ebay has been going about things.. .selling £3 stickers for us is no longer feisable as too many ejiots telling us they dont receive the stickers so... quad, road bike and mx it is.... would you all use as heavy a material for the road bikes? Thanks

artofacks1

I have my own edge fx and envision cutter. I primarily focus on sports decals but have done some mx work using convex material. Pm me it check out my facebook.com/Sportslivedecals page to see some of my artwork and examples.