• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motor problem blowing main board on Mimaki JV3-160SP

spencer2004

I am currently working on a Mimaki JV3-160SP which is having serious problems caused by something to do with the Y axis. It started with a Y axis error 41 problem so I changed the motor with a known working one which solved the problem for a short time, after which there was a burning smell coming from the main board which turned out to be one of the NPN transistors which control the Y axis motor so I switched the main board with a known working one. This worked for a very short time and then during a print operation the carriage came to a halt around 50cm from the capping station and some error appeared on the screen but I turned it off before I could read it, it then failed on afterwards as the power supply's over current protection was kicking in instantly. I replaced the failed NPN transistor and it worked again, I did a cleaning operation then the same problem happened again in the final stages of the cleaning operation while the carriage was returning to the capping station, I haven't looked at the main board but I assume that another transistor has blown.

I need some ideas on what could be causing the problem as I don't really have any ideas on what to do at the moment. The carriage doesn't seem to be getting stuck on anything and the rail it slides on is well lubed.

spencer2004

OK, I just replaced the same NPN transistor again which got the machine started up, did a media detect which went fine, did a test print and the printer died just before the carriage started moving.

fabiocrummy

OK, I just replaced the same NPN transistor again which got the machine started up, did a media detect which went fine, did a test print and the printer died just before the carriage started moving.

Try to clean the carriage guide and lubricate it.
Try to change the bushings (M400249)
Check if the y chain and the pulley are ok
Check the motor cables if they are ok
Replace y motor again :noway:

spencer2004

Just for future reference I found out that the transistors are for regulating the voltages to the heads, a faulty slider board was causing the problem.