• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motorcycle wrap. Need help with price and material!!!!

jjw2002

I've been asked by a friend to quote a price for his girlfriend's KLR. Right now it's orange and black and he wants it to look like this. From my understanding the only thing I'd be doing are the pink panel shown in the picture. He will be pulling off the panels and bringing them to me. I haven't done a wrap yet, much less a motorcycle and have no idea what to charge or how long it will take me. I'm also debating on vinyl type for wrap jobs. I've looked at the 3M IJ380Cv3. Does anyone have experience with different wraps types and ease of application, etc. I know this question is kind of vague but I'm trying to figure out a starting place. Please ask questions!! Thank you

Attachments

• bike.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 122

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I've been asked by a friend to quote a price for his girlfriend's KLR. Right now it's orange and black and he wants it to look like this. From my understanding the only thing I'd be doing are the pink panel shown in the picture. He will be pulling off the panels and bringing them to me. I haven't done a wrap yet, much less a motorcycle and have no idea what to charge or how long it will take me. I'm also debating on vinyl type for wrap jobs. I've looked at the 3M IJ380Cv3. Does anyone have experience with different wraps types and ease of application, etc. I know this question is kind of vague but I'm trying to figure out a starting place. Please ask questions!! Thank you

It looks like you could just use colored cut vinyl if its just one solid color. Lots of choices to choose from for cut vinyl but Oracal 751 is pretty popular. You can also look up on youtube for tons of great instructional videos. As far as what to charge, your probably going to misquote this one since you are unsure of how long it will take you but I would try to get $200 and see what they say lol.

jjw2002

It looks like you could just use colored cut vinyl if its just one solid color. Lots of choices to choose from for cut vinyl but Oracal 751 is pretty popular. You can also look up on youtube for tons of great instructional videos. As far as what to charge, your probably going to misquote this one since you are unsure of how long it will take you but I would try to get $200 and see what they say lol.

I use 751 for the lettering and decals that I do but I couldn't find the right color pink! Any idea on the difficulty for this job just using a cut vinyl. The curvature worries me a little. I wondered if spending more for vinyl with rapid air release would make sense. I haven't used it before so I'm not sure if it's that much easier :)

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I use 751 for the lettering and decals that I do but I couldn't find the right color pink! Any idea on the difficulty for this job just using a cut vinyl. The curvature worries me a little. I wondered if spending more for vinyl with rapid air release would make sense. I haven't used it before so I'm not sure if it's that much easier :)

The 751 is a cast vinyl so it will conform fine on those curves, bubble free will make it a little easier but the pieces are not that big so might not be necessary. If you do print it then you would be fine with the 3M180, your going to spend a lot of money for a roll that your going to be sitting on for a while.

jjw2002

The 751 is a cast vinyl so it will conform fine on those curves, bubble free will make it a little easier but the pieces are not that big so might not be necessary. If you do print it then you would be fine with the 3M180, your going to spend a lot of money for a roll that your going to be sitting on for a while.

Great! Thanks for your help.

Use 3m 1080, or avery sw900, etc. Some type of precolored wrap vinyl. Especially since this is your first time, using 751 or similar is going to be way to difficult. The rolls will come 60" wide, and I'd say by just looking at it, 3' would be plenty. There are a few places you can order those vinyl by the yard. I would be at more than $200 though. If they came in removed and ready to wrap, I would still be at around $250.

jjw2002

Use 3m 1080, or avery sw900, etc. Some type of precolored wrap vinyl. Especially since this is your first time, using 751 or similar is going to be way to difficult. The rolls will come 60" wide, and I'd say by just looking at it, 3' would be plenty. There are a few places you can order those vinyl by the yard. I would be at more than $200 though. If they came in removed and ready to wrap, I would still be at around $250.

Thank for the input. Application was my main concern! Are there any vendors that you would recommend ordering through?

T_K

I would also recommend using the 1-color cut vinyl. Printing and laminating that small a job on material you don't really ever use either prices you out of the market, or you end up paying to do the job.

Since it is a friend, I might explain more about the back side of what it takes to do this. "Look, if I print this, I'm having to buy all this vinyl and laminate that I don't have a use for. If I cut it out of 1-color vinyl, then I only have to buy the amount of material I need. So here are your color options." You could even have them look at different brands - each has slight variations on color.

Personally, I'm familiar with Orcal 651 - which I wouldn't use on this. Never touched the 751, so I can't say much there.
I have used Avery's 900 supercast and it would work well on this application.