• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

motteling on my 3m expensive vinyl

gabagoo

I received a 10 yard roll of 24" 3m 220 black and the entire roll is modettled. There was even a split in the roll about 3 yards in and since that spot every 12" or so you can see the impression of the masking tape.

My question is even though I am 99% sure it will go away, why do I as a reseller of their product have to deal with a possible customer complaint over it.
Can not product like this be considered a second?

I need to process the work so I have no time to re-order.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's happened to us on occasion. The way to prevent this is to order well enough in advance, so there is time to make an exchange.

We just had one last week where we were lettering 5 police cruisers [2 for one borough and 3 for another].... all using a lot of black reflective. Thought I had more than enough black reflective in stock. Turned out, one roll was pretty well spent, but it didn't show up until too late. Ordered another roll and could still meet the deadline. Supplier [who will remain nameless] sends me a frickin' white reflective roll. Call them, they say sorry, it will be there Monday. The chief was a little upset with me. I'm the guy that didn't get their last car done on time, not the supplier. I take full heat for someone else's F*ck Up. It's okay, I have broad shoulders, but this happens all the time.

Suppliers, manufacturers and whoever else are either getting lazy or their 'Quality Control' really sucks big time. I'm always the one explaining to customers what happened to make something go south. It wasn't near this bad 10 years ago.

gabagoo

here's a pic, hard to see but you can see the awful motteling and the tape marks as well.

I always say to customers that 3m 220 is the best 2ml you can have, but hard to say that when it looks like this.

Attachments

• mottled.JPG
    mottled.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 73

HulkSmash

here's a pic, hard to see but you can see the awful motteling and the tape marks as well.

I always say to customers that 3m 220 is the best 2ml you can have, but hard to say that when it looks like this.

most likely that was from the end of a roll. I'd ask for a new piece.

Baz

Canada.....3M/Gerber material....... I figured it out!
- FTFY

The reason i don't buy 3M.