• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motuh 1204 Printer banding issue

Kolb

Hi, We have a Mutoh 1204 in our shop. That printer wasnt used very much after we purchased our new 1324. Our company has increased in volume quite a bit and we wanted to get our 1204 back into good condition. We replaced most of all parts in the head but now we are experiencing a color issue when printing. It is only doing it when printing the blue color its not in the green or any other colors I was printing. Also when I do a Nozzle Check all colors show no gaps or anything. Any help or ideas would be much Appreciated.

The pictures do not show it as bad as it really looks in person but here they are to try and give you guys an idea.

20140604_103232.jpg 20140604_103251.jpg 20140604_103257.jpg

guitarguy69

Looks like the Bi-Di is off a bit. I have also seen this issue on materials prone to static. Another issue could possibly be a bad connection with the ribbon cables.

Can you perform a utility mode nozzle test and post a picture?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Clean your encoder strip. Does it look cloudy or scratched even after cleaning it? If yes get a new one. Vertical banding is usually the encoder strip or a bearing issue causing vibrations. Does the carriage sound loud or make clicking sounds when it moves back and forth?

Kolb

Looks like the Bi-Di is off a bit. I have also seen this issue on materials prone to static. Another issue could possibly be a bad connection with the ribbon cables.

Can you perform a utility mode nozzle test and post a picture?

I adjusted the Bi-Di and yeah it was off a bit still. I use only 3m IJ material in the printers I havent noticed any static issues before. as for the utlility mode nozzle test can you explain how to do that. I only know how to do the normal nozzle check. Thanks again!

Kolb

Clean your encoder strip. Does it look cloudy or scratched even after cleaning it? If yes get a new one. Vertical banding is usually the encoder strip or a bearing issue causing vibrations. Does the carriage sound loud or make clicking sounds when it moves back and forth?

Ive cleaned the encoder during all the replacement parts. I guess that could be the issue as its not in the best of shape. but I dont have any odd sounds or clicking noises at all. Thanks for the help.

guitarguy69

Not sure how to get to the utility mode in your model. Does this issue happen on banner material? If you have a few different scraps you may want to eliminate the media.

A&ESignShoppe

I'm experiencing a very similar issue with my Mutoh 1204. The only thing is, mine isn't even 3 months old yet. We've barely even used the thing, and we haven't done any large jobs at all. Could it really be giving me equipment problems this early?

EDIT: I'm listening to it print right now, and mine *is* making ticking noises. I don't even know where the encoding strip is or why it would already be defective.

This just has NOT been my day. :banghead:

Last edited:

A&ESignShoppe

Just checked my encoder strip and sure enough, it's got a big old scratch in one area of it.

Please don't tell me I already have to replace it. :frustrated:

Check your heater settings. You should be able to access them in your profile.

I have a 1204 and the only time I've ever had this issue was when the pre-heat temp is set too high. My printer is 5 years old.
Don't think it's just the printer. Even if there is a particular media you use often, media can vary lot to lot and even top brand media can throw a bad batch once in a while.

Hope this helps

Kolb

So I looked over the encoder strip and cleaned it. I dont see any markings or scratches at all and then it still printed that way. Im at a lost. Anyone know of a good repair company that will come to me and repair it? Located in Southern Indiana