• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting 2-sided Dibond sign between posts

Diane

We've often used two single faces of DiBond (usually 3mm) and mounted horizontal cross beams between posts and mounted the sign faces to that. We're currently considering mounting a 6mm panel between posts and are trying to decide on a mounting method. We're concerned that an L shaped angle bracket (aluminum) might not allow enough give for expansion/contraction. We're in a northern climate. Any thoughts from those of you who have done this?

d fleming

route a channel in the posts and insert panel into channel. Panel then floats in frame. You can also surface mount check stop or other trim to posts up against panels to hold in place to frame.

J

john1

I have mounted 2 Dibond signs and would deff attach it to a frame for support against bowing. It's sturdy stuff but still would need a backing support.

Diane

We're thinking in general, but we have two current projects, one is 33" wide x 65" high; the other is 48" x 48". Thanks.

carter75

route a channel in the posts and insert panel into channel. Panel then floats in frame. You can also surface mount check stop or other trim to posts up against panels to hold in place to frame.

We do this as well. Route a 1/2" channel in 4x4 posts and then also along the length of 2 2x4s to put at the top and the bottom. This is a fairly basic less aesthetic way of putting up a post and panel sign. We also use post kits that have plastic outer sleeves with aluminum inside for stability that look better.

Diane

Thanks everyone. I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't need a top/bottom piece because that doesn't allow for any kind of decorative shape to the DiBond - strictly rectangular.

carter75

Thanks everyone. I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't need a top/bottom piece because that doesn't allow for any kind of decorative shape to the DiBond - strictly rectangular.

Even using 6mm Dibond I am not sure that it would have the resiliency to stand on it's own without top and bottom supports. But if you want to try it you could always use a couple pieces of aluminum angle iron on either side of the sign at the posts and use some self-tapping screws or small bolts to hold it in place.

mopar691

4' x 4' i just run the router in it 1 3/4" slip in sign and angle screw in from 1 side with approx 8 to 10 2" screws. Caulk around both sides for seamless install and to cover the screws. Never used a top or bottom support on anything this small unless it was decorative or a fairly nice sign. I have probably hundreds out this way and never had a problem.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Even using 6mm Dibond I am not sure that it would have the resiliency to stand on it's own without top and bottom supports. But if you want to try it you could always use a couple pieces of aluminum angle iron on either side of the sign at the posts and use some self-tapping screws or small bolts to hold it in place.

That aluminum angle iron stuff is hard to come by. :)

Diane

Hahaha...that went right over my head too. Angle iron is such a common term to describe an L-shaped bracket (at least around here it is), I didn't even think of the "aluminum" being contradictory.

Thanks for the input. Pretty much confirms our thoughts.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, I was being a smart butt, sorry. :)

Post pictures of the finished product - I'd like to see how it turns out for you.

carter75

Yeah, I was being a smart butt, sorry. :)

Post pictures of the finished product - I'd like to see how it turns out for you.

HA! No worries, like the others it went right past me too! I now understand my contradictory term.