• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mounting ACM to painted wood or brick

Carol Sundberg

I have a client who needs to change existing signage to update contact information.
The text on the wood signs is painted so it cannot be removed.
There is also a brick monument sign with vinyl lettering on a painted aluminum panel that is very oxidized & needs to be replaced. The panel, which is attached with 3 rivets, is bowing quite a bit so I don't want to attach the new panel the same way.
What is/are the best way(s) to mount an ACM panel to painted wood or brick? I was hoping some type of adhesive would work. Any recommendations?
Keep in mind that this is in North Dakota USA so it can get pretty cold here in the winter & very hot in the summer.

20230707_141640 (Large).jpg

20230707_151127 (Large).jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
The panel, which is attached with 3 rivets, is bowing quite a bit so I don't want to attach the new panel the same way.
It's hard to say why that panel is bowing, but what you do know is there is something substantial enough to mount to there. Remove the panel to see what's there, reattach with screws until you're ready to install. It's really hard to say without knowing what's back there.

ACM panel to painted wood
I'll bet that's HDU, not actual wood. I'd weld studs to the back of a piece of .090" aluminum, drill and silicone in place. You can get pads that will recieve studs and work for ACM, but they're 1" diameter and .25" deep, so you'd need to over drill the area and allow the pad to recess into the old sign to avoid a gap. Gemini sells the pads

visual800

on the top which appers to be blasted redwood I would offer price to repaint all brown and place 040 or 063 lauminum over bottom part and attached with 6 small deck screws and some silicone. After paint dries out you can place vinyl lettering on top of that.

on the bottom sign replace with 063 aluminum and attach with 2 tapcons and silicone, painted with vinyl lettering

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The top one is either redwood or cedar. We just did 4 signs like that by prepping them and repainting and they look absolutely fine, now. You wouldn't need to add any panels or anything. Just the new information. If they don't want a facelift, then just go on site, sand that one panel and paint it with 2 coats.

The bottom one is more than likely sheet aluminum or 3mm that is causing the bowing. Either price out .090 aluminum or go with at least 6mm acm or better.