• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Aluminum on Stucco Wall

grafixemporium

Can anyone give me some ideas on the best way to mount a 4x8 sheet of 040 aluminum to a stucco wall outside a commercial shopping center? Directly behind the stucco finish is a cinder block wall. The owner of the business would rather not drill holes in the stucco surface. I told him I'd research to see if there was another method... epoxy, silicone, etc. The sign is a drive thru menu for a small privately owned restaurant and was produced "on the cheap" as requested.

Any ideas?

grafixemporium

Yes I know... I guess I should have also mentioned that. The customer requested that we not drill holes in the wall. I told him that any adhesive we use will likely pull the stucco off upon removal. He doesn't care... he just doesn't want holes in the wall.

Right or wrong doesn't really matter much. I just need to know if anyone has successfully adhered aluminum or dibond to a textured wall surface without using screws.

Thanks

I've never done it with aluminum, but I had a customer instruct me to install a 4' x 4' mdo sign on a brick wall with Liquid Nails. It adhered so well they had to pull the mdo off in pieces when they moved. So I guess it would work with aluminum.

My biggest concern is that the aluminum would be wavy because of the textured surface.

visualeyez

Try some 1/8" x 1" wide foam tape. Hit the perimiter and then maybe a few more horizontal strips. Kinda spendy though compared to a tube of liquid nails.

Perks

You should frame it for strength then figure out how the wall is constructed. Bolts, conduit etc.

d fleming

Drill it or turn him down. Don't let someone who has no idea what you do for a living tell you how to do it. If the sign needs to be removed patching stucco is easy.

signage

Drill it or turn him down. Don't let someone who has no idea what you do for a living tell you how to do it. If the sign needs to be removed patching stucco is easy.

Best answer yet! "It's your reputation and insurance if it falls and injures someone!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Scratch the adhesive, it's not safe. You need to use fastener to attach it to the wall. A sign that size can blow off and act as a guillotine on a windy day. You should also use a stiffer material so the sign doesn't bow.

davidcarr87

the landlord prob will not let him drill into it, i have ran into this a few times..ll's say that once you make a hole in the plaster that water will get behind it and it will fail...most of the time there is a sheetrock like material behind the stucco--and there is wire staple to that...so once the sheetrock gets wet..then the staples come out..and there goes the wall...the customer had to pay his LL another deposit and sign a form ..then i had them sign a release form sayin i wasnt liable for anything at all

Firefox

I agree that sheet metal will be wavy, and the lighter it is the more wavy it can be without support other that screws or glue spots on the wall.

Making some assumptions here in the absence of pictures of the site location.

As to the mounting can you mount it on a frame work of some type that mounts to the deck below and the roof overhang above.

Or if the site is dirt... Possibly sink/concrete a post or two into the dirt and mount a the sign structure to the post.

surf city

SKYHOOKS work really well, but most places have them on backorder. And even when they come in they are gone in seconds. I would tell him he needs to use a mechanical fastener, screws, etc. If the glue fails and the sign falls you will have a huge issue. Also explain that adhesive can stick too well sometimes and removal might be very, very costly. If he's afraid of water getting into the holes apply silicone into the holes just before you insert the screws and you should have a water tight seal. Either that or have him install it himself.

visual800

tape ain't gonna hold it, silicone will. scuff up the back of the sign very good and put some large dabs on the sign and duct tape it up there. I hate doing this cause the sign it too large for silicone alone but it will hold.

I cant wait till sign comes down and rips the front of the building with it...YEP no HOLES FOR YOU SIR! Dumbasses.:doh:

MikePro

mounting aluminum to a wall that doesn't allow holes/adhesive... AND doesn't want to fall down (i assume). you need better negotiation skills... ur f'd.

1) make a post n' panel sign with a concrete base and just place it in front of the wall.

2) suspension cables from the roof and the ground

3) vinyl graphics... ditch the aluminum

4) sell him a projector

5) stud mount the damn sign... 4-10 .25" holes isn't gonna do anything to his wall that can't be repaired with ease. Hell, if he's worried about damaging the wall, he shouldn't be putting anything up there in the first place. When you remove it, you'll have to repair/repaint the ghosted sign silhouette anyways. suck it up, and sell him on doing it the right way.... if it falls on someone, he's liable... and you can be too.

grafixemporium

Sell him a projector... LMAO.

My negotiating skills are fine. I love how some of you guys can twist an innocent question into something so much more.

We screwed the sign to the wall. Everything is fine. Thanks for the replies.