• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting calendered vinyl

fireprinter

We just purchased a roland vp540i. We are printing on a matte calendered vinyl with heavy ink coverage. 18 x24 is the size. Having a lot of trouble laying it onto coroplast with bubbling. Any suggestions? Are we using the correct vinyl? Thank you

CanuckSigns

laminate them with a cheap laminate or apply application tape to help "thicken" them up and make them easier to handle, the ink really thins the vinyl.

knowledgeneeded

Been there, done that.

Lamination is the way to go.

If you don't have any, application will work but it is a little more difficult as you then have to take the tape off once applied. Use a spray bottle with water and wet the app tape before removing it.

And have patience.

Good Luck!

Vicg

Big Squeegee by far for this , they really arent expensive and well worth it.
Vic

tomence

I've done lot of 18x24 on matte Oracal 3651 and always done them dry. I dont know why you have difficult time. Also i have used Oracal 3640 and again no problem. I mount them with the middle hinge method and never had trouble taking the tape off.

Gordy Saunders

I always have problems if I try to apply the print right after printing. The ink softens up the vinyl. Drying over night always does the trick. Sometimes if it is a rush job I'll use a heat gun, but I really don't like doing that.

S

scarface

Let the prints dry OVERNIGHT before mounting. I can almost guarantee that's your problem because it's happened to me before and if your using a small squeegee, pick up the BIG SQUEEGEE and you won't have anymore problems mounting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
18" x 24" is rather a small size to be having any problems at all.

Your own assessment was really the only correct answer so far. The other suggestions these other people have mentioned will only help you, but not correct your problem.

You're not using the correct media. Calendared vinyl, unless specified for digital printing use, will always soften to the point it's tough to apply, but with any kind of talent, you should still be capable of getting it to lay flat without bubbles. Cutting corners and using whatsever laying around the shop to do a job... always costs you more in the long run. Is it really saving you money by using the cheap stuff ??

I'd rather spend more money for decent vinyl, then spend so much labor time putting things down lousy and having to do it over or wrestle with it and then say... well, that will pass.... they should accept this mess.

Bigdawg

Just Me
18" x 24" is rather a small size to be having any problems at all.

Now that I don't agree with. Unlaminated calendared vinyl on coro just flat sucks to lay down. Especially with heavy coverage. Even with drying overnight (although that is very helpful).

We pay just a little more to use the 3165ra unlaminated for coro now. I was using 3651 for temp signs, but the 3165 lays down sooooo much easier. I'd make the switch... for us the price difference was nominal - much cheaper than laminating. bob recently posted a very good squeegeeing technique you should go look up too.

As far as the rest of the reply, I don't see where the OP mentioned what brand or type of vinyl he's using... so there were some pretty hefty assumptions in it.

EDITED TO ADD: Another thing you can do is put a 2" strip of transfer tape on one side to give you a steady edge to hold on to without stretching.

signguy54

Not an artist
this is something we do all the time

we will get the problems if the ink isn't dry enough. if not dry the vinyl is stretchy and problems happen. most of the time we use a laminator for application. somebody was talking about oracal - both the 3651 and the 3640
(especially the 3640) need extra time to dry.

some vinyls don't soften up as much - lg chem 3810 was really good for this - unfortunately our local distributor went out of business.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stacy, excuse me for saying this, but if anyone has trouble putting down a simple 18" x 24" routinely, they are not good at their jobs..... The End.... Period. We've been using vinyl since about 1984-5.... and even when we started printing on vinyl, we had the technique down pat. Add in the softeneing of solvent inks in the mid 90's into the early 2000's, we still had a small learning curve, but we could put down a fully printed 48" x 96" using small half moon 5" felt squeegees and still not get bubbles. We could mount a 4'x 8' in about two to three minutes. Now, with the Big Squeegee from Dale, we can do that same print in abut 45 seconds.

Sure, there are all kinds of methods of making something go easier, but not using the right medias is his biggest factor.

kylebrk

We use Arlon for everything. Light, medium, heavy coverage it reacts beautifully. I understand it's .34/sq. ft. compared to .15/sq. ft. but it's amazing and ridiculously easy to apply. My install guy gets pissed when I print on anything else. We have the Roland SP-540i so we use the same type of process.

Flame

We use Arlon for everything. Light, medium, heavy coverage it reacts beautifully. I understand it's .34/sq. ft. compared to .15/sq. ft. but it's amazing and ridiculously easy to apply. My install guy gets pissed when I print on anything else. We have the Roland SP-540i so we use the same type of process.

Sounds like a ad schpeel. First post on here... glorifying Arlon. Why is it any easier to apply than a different brand? Seriously... same thickness, both calendared, both non-air agress.... you really think one will be far easier to install than another?

I think not. buh-bye now.

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents and say rather than getting higher quality vinyl with air agress like has been suggested, trying just laminating? Seriously... you will get almost twice the life out of the sign, will look better, and be quicker to install. And if these are cheapies, something like oracal 200 laminate is really not spendy at all.

Also, big squeegee is another great suggestion, but honestly if you got the center hinge method down pat, it can go ALMOST as fast, and shouldn't be getting bubbles.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Sorry Gino... I believe you are good... just don't buy that you never had a problem and all your applications are absolutely bubble-free. Guess that puts you head and shoulders above the rest of us mere mortals.

I've only been laying down vinyl for 5 years so maybe some day I can catch up... but unlaminated fully printed vinyl is a challenge on coroplast... on pvc? dibond? any FLAT substrate? Not a bit of problem... but on that damn coro yep - sometimes (not every time) I get bubbles.

Guess that means I suck.

Salmoneye

Even with a big squeegee I have trouble laying down heavy coverage prints with eco-sol ink off our 540 sometimes. (I must not be good at my job) So if you are also not good at your job, do what we do; either let them cure well or laminate them. This is my experience with 3165 at least.