• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting canvas prints 24″ x 36″

nolanola

Hello.
We've been asked to print and mount canvas on 1″ deep substrate.
gallery-wrapped-main.jpg

How can we do that?
I know there is a 1″ Ultraboard but I am concerned about the edges.

Thank you.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's called a 'gallery wrap' and it's quite simple to do. I've done hundreds of them and pretty much do them in my sleep. The first one you do will be a bit of an education but unless you're a complete maladroit you won't screw it up There are countless you tube videos explaining the procedure. Many of them hawking some system to special tool, pay no heed to these, all you need are canvas pliers, available at any art supply hobby store, and a good stapler. Preferably an air stapler but there are electric versions. If you use a hand stapler you'll probably require some sort of physical therapy after doing one or two wraps. There's a lot of staples.

You'll also need a set of stretcher bars upon which to wrap the print. The stretchers commercially available are usually 3/4" thick. There are thicker specimens but if the standard 3/4" bars won't do it's easy and usually cheaper to make your own from brick mold available at any lumber yard. Opt for solid PVC brick mold in lieu of wood if you can. The PVC is dead nuts straight and can be glued with standard PVC cement rendering an almost instantaneous bond.

Sign.ed

It's called a 'gallery wrap' and it's quite simple to do. I've done hundreds of them and pretty much do them in my sleep. The first one you do will be a bit of an education but unless you're a complete maladroit you won't screw it up There are countless you tube videos explaining the procedure. Many of them hawking some system to special tool, pay no heed to these, all you need are canvas pliers, available at any art supply hobby store, and a good stapler. Preferably an air stapler but there are electric versions. If you use a hand stapler you'll probably require some sort of physical therapy after doing one or two wraps. There's a lot of staples.

You'll also need a set of stretcher bars upon which to wrap the print. The stretchers commercially available are usually 3/4" thick. There are thicker specimens but if the standard 3/4" bars won't do it's easy and usually cheaper to make your own from brick mold available at any lumber yard. Opt for solid PVC brick mold in lieu of wood if you can. The PVC is dead nuts straight and can be glued with standard PVC cement rendering an almost instantaneous bond.

There you go.

T_K

Lexjet has some ready-to-go gallery wrap bars you can purchase. They're really simple and quick to use. They have 2 brands. I've personally used the Hahnemuhle brand, but they seem about the same. You just need to get the correct length and depth of the bars.

pokmijn

These gallery wraps here in PL are very popular to put it on the wall (even entire wall) in your living area. The best way (based on experience) is to have own carpenter in neighborhood. You are, then, not limited to strict dimensions. The biggest wooden skeleton for 'gallery wrap' we did wa 7m long and 2,5m height. It took us 2,5h to do this.

nolanola

$40 per frame looks a little pricey to me. How much should we charge for the finished product? $120?
We have a decent miter saw and we can make 45-degree cuts. Is it appropriate to use the PVC brick molding glued with PVC cement?

Thank you.

ikarasu

I bought a few 1x2x8 piece of wood for $1.60.. then cut it with a miter saw, some wood glue and nail gun and 5 minutes from start to finish, and you have a frame that's sturdy for a couple bucks. I've had frames that were up for years and they're still perfectly Square and sturdy.

If it were for a customer id probably use a bit more expensive wood, but either way you can make a good sized and well built frame that looks good for under $10 if you have a saw and some wood glue / clamps.

If this is a one off... I'd just buy the frame pre made though.

Goto an art store that sells pre stretched canvas on frames. I bought one, tore it apart and it was the cheapest wood Ive ever seen... I guess since these things hang on the walls, no one cares what the frame looks like. But for a few bucks more, may as well make it look decent.

Google how to stretch a canvas wrap, and how to build a canvas frame. You could get fancy and do a floating frame also...

Generally I'll cut the frame to the size of the picture l, then I'll mirror 1-3 inches deoending on the depth of the a frame on each side of the photo. You don't even need special pliers to stretch it... It helps, but you can hand tighten it pretty good / use regular pliers.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have ordered frames from these people
ImageWorks Supply : Wraptek, Canvas Frames, Stretcher Bars, Canvas Rolls, French Canvas
Very very good product! Super easy to assemble.
I used to build frames myself from scratch until some of these started to warp from ac/temp/humidity.
I love how they make corner braces and center braces also. Makes the frame super strong

Expensive overkill. Unless you're stretching some huge wall-size print you don't need corner braces, center bars, the stick back corners, and none of the clever fasteners. None of it.

Just whack off 4 pieces of whatever raw stock you choose to use at 45 degrees. Accurately, making 2 rails of exactly the same length and two stiles of exactly the same length [those would be the 2 horizontal and 2 vertical pieces] . Take a rail and a stile, put a bit of glue on the cut, position them on a flat surface using a framing square up against the inside to make sure it's square, the drop three staples across the 45 degree seam so that they span the seam. Turn it over and do three spanning staples on the other side. add the next rail or stile in exactly the same way, moving the framing square to the outside if the frame is too small on the inside.. Add the last piece and staple both its seams.

The result is more than sufficiently sturdy for stretching canvas. If you did good 45 degree cuts and you kept it square during assembly you're good to go.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
It is pricey but I have worked with them before and the kit they send you is superb
corner pieces are also cool because if for some reason the canvas starts sagging a little you can stretch it more using the corner braces.
I have a customer who wants's to do a 4x8 ft canvas prints ( nearly a dozen)
stretcherbarwarehouse doesn't even offer that size

ikarasu

All you need is a miter saw, and some glue. You guys are putting way too much thought into it! For something g huge like 4ft x 8ft I'd use some expensive sturdy wood, just because all the stretching applies tension. For smaller stuff simple frame wood at $1.50 per 8 ft will do.

The frame wood is probably better quality than these companies offer - they're just charging you for pre built kits.

If you want to keep the frame perfectly Square and add extra support... You just need to cut a 3-4" piece of wood and use it as a brace in the corners. I did it once, then realized it wasn't needed.

How to Build a Custom Sized Stretched Canvas

It's literally one of the most easiest things to build in woodworking. If you own a miter saw, this should be a cakewalk for you. If you don't... Pick up a cheap $40 one at home Depot.

If it's a one off and you'll never do canvas again, buying a pre built frame is ok. If it's not... Learning to build is better. No fighting with artwork trying to fit the pre-sized frame dimensions, you can make it look a lot better than the pre built frames, etc. And if you have the tools... It takes literally 3 minute to build a frame from scratch. No waiting on shipping for days.

Franklin

Expensive overkill. Unless you're stretching some huge wall-size print you don't need corner braces, center bars, the stick back corners, and none of the clever fasteners. None of it.

Just whack off 4 pieces of whatever raw stock you choose to use at 45 degrees. Accurately, making 2 rails of exactly the same length and two stiles of exactly the same length [those would be the 2 horizontal and 2 vertical pieces] . Take a rail and a stile, put a bit of glue on the cut, position them on a flat surface using a framing square up against the inside to make sure it's square, the drop three staples across the 45 degree seam so that they span the seam. Turn it over and do three spanning staples on the other side. add the next rail or stile in exactly the same way, moving the framing square to the outside if the frame is too small on the inside.. Add the last piece and staple both its seams.

The result is more than sufficiently sturdy for stretching canvas. If you did good 45 degree cuts and you kept it square during assembly you're good to go.

I hate to say it but the only place to get stretched wood for .30 cent - 80 cent a piece is overseas. Im getting started myself with canvas wraps and I haven't found a place in the states that can get close to overseas pricing.

Why?

I couldn't answer that. I mean its wood. Should be able to provide the same quality here in the states for even double the price of overseas and I\d be happy and purchasing from the states but the price difference is night and day.

basstrax

I hate to say it but the only place to get stretched wood for .30 cent - 80 cent a piece is overseas. Im getting started myself with canvas wraps and I haven't found a place in the states that can get close to overseas pricing.

Why?

I couldn't answer that. I mean its wood. Should be able to provide the same quality here in the states for even double the price of overseas and I\d be happy and purchasing from the states but the price difference is night and day.

I found this place. Really cheap prices, probably the cheapest I've found online. I buy in bundle of 50 and sometimes I get a bad bar or two. Shipping is not all that quick. Overall, It's decent quality for a good price.
Wholesale oil paintings, frames and wholesale home décor art - wholesaleartsframes