Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Sign on Awning

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by RebelGraphics, Jul 28, 2020.

1. RebelGraphics

RebelGraphics Member

May 14, 2020
    Florida
    Hello all, same client from my previous post wants a sign on his tenant’s awning. It still has adhesive from the previous sign so I’m assuming it was printed vinyl directly onto the fabric. Is it the right way to do it or should I use a rigid substrate and screw it in?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    They should redo that awning or just get rid of it. That thing looks horrible. You could mount something to the framework, make sure the frame is secured well to the building.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    He's right, that thing looks awful. Sometimes, ya just can't polish a turd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Yep, a real eyesore. You can remove the existing fabric and have an awning company make a new one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Yep! The first thing to do is request a burning at the stake for that thing! Jeez.........
    Get them a vinyl awing and put vinyl letters on it, or a nice printed sign....
    I wouldn't want my name associated with that job otherwise.
    It is probably so old it won't take much to rip it to shreds....
    If you do try to mount something to the frame behind the awning, I would think the first time you put a hole in it to secure your substrate, it will start tearing, and on and on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RebelGraphics

RebelGraphics Member

May 14, 2020
    Florida
    Replaced is a no-no as there is “no budget” per their words.
    Can I use acm or acrylic and screw it to the frame to cover the eyesore?

7. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Hell, why not just use coroplast.......... :banghead:

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RebelGraphics

RebelGraphics Member

May 14, 2020
    Florida
    Naaaah, I’m just trying to help the pastor with his budget.

9. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

You can screw things to the frame that are lightweight. Usually the frame is 1x1 square tubing. The limiting factor for weight is how the thing is attached to the wall. I've seen a lot of pretty sketchy attachments on awnings.

The real solution is a new "canvas" (whether it's polyester fabric or vinyl). It might not be all that expensive either. And in my experience, the awning contractor can put the lettering on it before they go out and install it. I just send them the file and they make the lettering and apply it. Find a reputable awning company and keep them in your Rolodex.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW

11. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    That awning is old and dirty. The valance webbing is coming off. Clean it with some detergent like tide in a bucket of water with a good scrub brush. Rinse off with water and let dry. Paint it with cheap exterior latex paint, the kind that vinyl letters will stick to, not the good latex paint with all the extras in it. Paint the top and valance a different color like it was and a different color for rectangular part. One quart of each will take care of it.
    Tell the pastor to get volunteers to clean and paint it. You just have to apply the vinyl.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Cover it with a banner, easy as 1-2-3

• Like Like x 1
  13. RebelGraphics

RebelGraphics Member

May 14, 2020
    Florida
    That could work. Affordable and easy. Screws around the bends

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Sometimes, not having the budget to do something correctly, does not equate to doing it stupidly. The banner idea is good, but like mentioned, if it's not attached too good, you'll be responsible for not fixing it to meet code. So, no budget...... does that mean no permit ??

• Informative Informative x 1