• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting standoffs to glass?

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Hi everyone,
One of our clients has had a number of signs made by another sign company.
Now they want us to take over making them.
Basically I'm looking for some 1 inch brushed aluminum standoffs that mount to GLASS.
Our client has a very large window with colored glass plaques that are mounted to it using these "glued" or "adhesive" standoffs. The whole thing looks like a giant stained glass window.
It's a great project, but I can't locate these "adhesive" standoffs.
Can you help me identify them?
LR4cxmW

Billct2

They have existing stand off mounted to glass? Can you see what was used? You will have to apply the adhesive, whether it's VHB or "glue" or a combo, yourself.

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
My coworker went to take the photos, but we were unaware that we would need to source the standoffs AND do the install of more of these glass panels so we weren't looking at how these standoffs were mounted to the glass. Now that we need to reverse engineer the job, I'm coming up with nothing.
Here's the current wall...
View media item 9787
So I need to source the standoffs (or sleeves that the standoff slips into?) adhesive tape? glue?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
My coworker went to take the photos, but we were unaware that we would need to source the standoffs AND do the install of more of these glass panels so we weren't looking at how these standoffs were mounted to the glass. Now that we need to reverse engineer the job, I'm coming up with nothing.
Here's the current wall...
View media item 9787
So I need to source the standoffs (or sleeves that the standoff slips into?) adhesive tape? glue?

If you are getting new glass panels, you can have glass drilled by a glazer company - I've done a few lobby signs with glass panels and standoffs in the past. IIRC we went with tempered 1/4" thick.
Then (in your case) - from rear of glass forward

Low profile cap (i'd get the dome)
Stud
Barrel
Stud
Glass
Cap of choice, facing viewer.

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
I'll try the photos again.
full

This is the standoff. Doesn't it look like there's a half-inch aluminum standoff (the hole in the glass is 3/8) inside the "top hat" that is glued or adhered to the glass?
That's why I'm assuming this is a 2-piece set up.

I've gotten pricing for 1/4" thick tempered glass with the edge treatment and 3/8 holes drilled.

Now I have to source these standoffs.

unclebun

To post the picture, you click the button below the post box that says "Upload a File". Then you browse your hard drive for the picture. Once you've selected it, you click the "Open" button and it will upload the picture. You don't use IMG tags

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Man, I wish you could see what I see... all the photos are appearing just fine. I had no idea they weren't working for anyone else. Thanks for letting me know that it wasn't working.
Can you see them now?
20190201_150906 sm.jpg
20190201_151404 sm.jpg
20190201_152001 sm.jpg
20190201_152021 sm.jpg

unclebun

It looks like the standoffs holding the small signs are ordinary standoffs, available from lots of vendors. However they appear to be attached to a larger device which is stuck to the base glass, which has the picture of a tree on it. Is that correct?

I didn't find one in a quick perusal of their website, but CR Laurence makes glass standoff and attachment systems that use a UV cured adhesive. You might give them a call. http://www.crlaurence.com/

Last edited:

Billct2

I haven't seen a standoff like that before. Is it metal or plastic? Almost looks like they mated a regular standoff to a custom barrel/base

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
That's what I thought also. Any other ideas? I called CR Laurence and they were quick to tell me that they don't have any thing like that.
Obviously whoever had this job before us had TONS of these things. I never thought it would be this hard to locate.