• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting to brick

BrianKE

I am trying to quote 100 signs that are made of .080 aluminum that need to be mounted to a brick wall (sings are 20"W x 8"H). Anyone know a way to mount these other than drilling the brick and using anchors?

Would something like construction adhesive or Liquid Nails be sufficient in holding these signs to the brick?

TIA

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Assuming the brick has a somewhat smooth/even surface without a ton of variations/protrusions: Apply three vertical strips of VHB tape - one at each end and one in the center of each panel. Apply a nickel-sized dollop of silicone between each strip of tape. When installing, press firmly everywhere you applied the VHB tape being carefuly not to flex/bend the panel. It won't go anywhere.

If the brick isn't smooth, you're better off stud-mounting them.

HulkSmash

I am trying to quote 100 signs that are made of .080 aluminum that need to be mounted to a brick wall (sings are 20"W x 8"H). Anyone know a way to mount these other than drilling the brick and using anchors?

Would something like construction adhesive or Liquid Nails be sufficient in holding these signs to the brick?

TIA

Liquid nail might work. I'd put 2 screws, 1 in each side with anchors. Or you can nail rivet them...either way, you better have a corded hammer drill...and like 15 bits to drill 200 holes.

rjssigns

Powder actuated anchor gun. Super fast. They won't fall off, but you'll never remove them either.
Personally I would use TapCons and call it a day. Bricks are soft and hammer drill easily compared to cured concrete. I've had tons of experience with both. Mortar lines drill faster yet.

carter75

Assuming the brick has a somewhat smooth/even surface without a ton of variations/protrusions: Apply three vertical strips of VHB tape - one at each end and one in the center of each panel. Apply a nickel-sized dollop of silicone between each strip of tape. When installing, press firmly everywhere you applied the VHB tape being carefuly not to flex/bend the panel. It won't go anywhere.

If the brick isn't smooth, you're better off stud-mounting them.

^+1

VHB is awesome and much easier than anchoring them in. Also, it looks a lot better in the end when you don't have big blue TapCon heads or other anchor heads protruding out. You could also use a more aggressive adhesive between the strips of VHB for a little extra insurance too...