• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Move Corel X4 Off Old PC

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I had my laptop die on me Monday night, but the hard drive was still good.

So I bought a new laptop Tuesday night and got an enclosure for the old drive. I pulled the old drive out, installed it in the enclosure and everything works grand!

But I have one problem. I had Corel X4 installed on my old laptop, but can't find my installation disk.

Does anyone know how to move the entire application from the old drive to my new laptop?

I know I can buy software (laplink is the one I've been looking at), but I'm trying not to spend more than I need to.

Anybody have any ideas?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
thats a tought one, what with all of the registry entries and .dll files that an installation requires

Exactly. The Laplink software states that it can move whole applications from one PC to another, but I'm gonna be really angry if I buy it and then it doesn't work.

We recently moved so I thought the disc was out in our garage in one of my boxes. I searched the ENTIRE garage last night. Every f'n box was opened and checked. :banghead:

OldPaint

if the hard drive is still working, your corel should able to work from that hard drive from the external USB hard drive docker.

njsigns

I've used the Laplink "PC Mover" software that comes with a dual ended USB cable. I did that about 4 years ago when my hard drive crashed and I didn't have the time to reinstall and recover all my data by my normal methods. I'm typing this message to you via the computer I moved my data to, and CorelDraw X4 was one of the programs that got moved... I haven't had a problem with the transfer of all of my programs or their functionality.

Gene

J

john1

You can upgrade corel x4 to x6. I just did. All you do is call Corel and explain them your situation. I paid $199

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I've used the Laplink "PC Mover" software that comes with a dual ended USB cable. I did that about 4 years ago when my hard drive crashed and I didn't have the time to reinstall and recover all my data by my normal methods. I'm typing this message to you via the computer I moved my data to, and CorelDraw X4 was one of the programs that got moved... I haven't had a problem with the transfer of all of my programs or their functionality.

Gene

Gene,
Did you get the PC Mover Upgrade Assistant? I'm assuming that's the version I would need.

I already have the USB cable because it came with the enclosure I got for the old drive.

njsigns

Gene,
Did you get the PC Mover Upgrade Assistant? I'm assuming that's the version I would need.

I already have the USB cable because it came with the enclosure I got for the old drive.

I got the software here in the picture attached, I was running windows XP Pro on the machine that failed, and I am still running XP Pro - I'm not sure about Upgrade Assistant - what it does or is, I got PC Mover Essentials.

I feel like I get emails everyday from Laplink software with promotional codes / special offers / discounts, I just searched my email and couldn't find a single one to pass along...

Gene

2012-04-19_13-08-44_566.jpg

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I got the software here in the picture attached, I was running windows XP Pro on the machine that failed, and I am still running XP Pro - I'm not sure about Upgrade Assistant - what it does or is, I got PC Mover Essentials.

I feel like I get emails everyday from Laplink software with promotional codes / special offers / discounts, I just searched my email and couldn't find a single one to pass along...

Gene

View attachment 76076
Thank you!! I was going to get the wrong software. :doh:

This is really starting to seem like my best bet. I was just leery of buying something if I'm not sure it'll work.