• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Moving A Printer, No Power For 24 Hours?

czwalga

I'm moving a printer, will be without power for roughly 24 hours. I plan on doing a longstore with new cleaning cartridges and locking down the head.

Any other things I should do or suggest? Anything I should worry about?

AKwrapguy

I guess it all depends on they make and model of the printer....if it's latex it shouldn't be a problem. Solvent or eco-solvent yes it could be a problem.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You are going overboard with the long store. 24 hrs without power is completely fine. Clean the cap top and the bottom of the head where it lines up with the cap top so that it makes a good seal. Pour some cleaning solution into the cap so it drains into the tubes to keep them from drying and then lock the head down in the capped position. I move used printers all the time including the Mutoh Valuejets and you will be fine. Don't waste your time and money flushing the entire machine with the long store. That is more for putting it in storage and/or moving it long distances such as across the country.

czwalga

It's a mutoh 1324. We are moving it, about 8 hours of driving.

Two completely different answers haha. I was just going to do the long store to be extra careful. I figured $150 bucks is probably worth it to make sure nothing bad happens.

Leaving it overnight though unplugged.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I figured $150 bucks is probably worth it to make sure nothing bad happens.

Can't go wrong with that. Just be prepared as the long store process tends to reveal issues that printer is having that haven't gotten bad enough to affect the print such as small air leaks and bad maintenance parts. You definitely want to check the ink lines after the process to make sure all of the colors completely flushed out. If they didn't, it could mean the maintenance station, dampers or parts of the ink line could be failing.

smartgrafix

We've moved multiple eco-sol printers without flushing the lines, no issues there. Our tech always advises us if it's going to be without power for more than 3 days, flush the lines and put in cleaning cartridges. Anything less than that, we do a very thorough cleaning, and squirt a lot of cleaning solution into the caps, and then lock the heads, yank the inks, we put a clean cloth in the drain hole, and away we go! We're always careful not to tilt it or bump it, and so far we've had zero problems.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
24 whole hours? Really? Just lock down the carriage, however you do this for your printer, and move the damn thing. Leave the inks, and everything else, right where they are. If you were going to take days/weeks for this move then worry about all of the crap you're worrying about. Not for a single day.

There's not a whole hell of a lot of difference between moving the machine for 24 hours and moving it across the room.

ProColorGraphics

That is definitely overkill for just moving a printer. Normally they say only worry about that if it will be sitting for days without any power. Like what was mentioned, lock the carriage down, strap it down good, then plug it back in and do a cleaning/nozzle check and you should be good to go.