• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving a Pylon Sign

rdm01

I have a client looking to move his current sign to his new location 2.6 miles down the road. The current pylon sign is about 16 feet tall, and has construction similar to the photo attached (but smaller). We would be subbing the majority of the job out, but before I get too deep into this, is this something that is commonly done? Are there aspects to look out for prior to beginning this?

Again, my role in the project will be basically putting the right people into their positions, with electrical, excavation, and all other aspects being handled by professionals, but I want to enter this as educated as possible.

Thanks for any pointers off the bat.

Attachments

• picture-026.jpg
    picture-026.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 154

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might wanna look into the idea of leaving that one right where it is and building a new one. The integrity... and even the appearance of it will probably suffer in a move like that.

Most places [municipalities] won't allow you to up and move something that is now considered part of the land. So, check with your codes and local ordinances first.

rdm01

Gino,
Thank you! I also have a quote going for new signage, and may very well end up going that route (again partnering). They have asked with for this quote as well so I am trying to oblige. I will place a call with the planning department.
Ryan

MikePro

if those are match-plates at ground level, then you may be able to go about simply setting a new concrete base with a new match-plate.
...assuming it's not all rusted together.

Mosh

What you are going to end up doing is removing the skin of the sign and moving the structure to a new foundation then re-install the skin. more of a construction company type job....

FS-Keith

What you are going to end up doing is removing the skin of the sign and moving the structure to a new foundation then re-install the skin. more of a construction company type job....

no not really. Def a sign company job. Those come apart in a couple of pieces pieces. Anchor bolt setup with match plates.