• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving Mainboard from a Vj-1204 to a VJ-1304

Eddie Greer

Hello Group,

I currently have a VJ-1204 that has a bad head, I found someone who has VJ-1304 that has a new head but has a bad mainboard. Can I just switch the working mainboard from my VJ-1204 to the VJ-1304?

FatCat

I will wait for one of the experts to chime in, but I wouldn't think so. The programming on the 1304 is setup for a 54" printer and the 1204 is a 48" printer. I would think all the parameters would be out of whack, or you swap your board into the 1304 and it may only be able to print to a 48" width because it "thinks" it is still a 1204?? Again, I have no idea, but you may be able to flash the board and reprogram it but there again, that is something for the experts to discuss.

Obviously, it would be much simpler to just swap the good head into your 1204 and go that route. However, I am reading between the lines and you would rather have a 54" printer, so I get it...but if it can be done, it won't be easy.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Once a Mutoh main board is programed with firmware it can't be moved to another model. Just to warn you I would worry about the head in the 1304. Main boards on these printers only typically go if there was an issue with the electronics that run the head. If that is the case the bad main board could definitely have damaged the "good" head. Unless you want to upgrade from the 48" to 54" size I would recommend just purchasing a new head for your 1204.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah Mutoh locks their boards into the version that is first installed on it. As chrisphilipps said, the main board on the 1304 could be fine and just need a fuse or something. I'd either get a head for the 1204 or try to fix the 1304 board.