• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving masked objects

larson833

So I do my printing basically as a hobby so I'm not very up and up on all the techniques. I bought my first motorsport template literally 7 months ago, the person I bought it from has been 0 help. I normally i just print simple products. But I bought a SXS and wanted wrap it well I'm quickly learning I probably should have just boughg one already made. Not only is the template super confusing, With multiple pieces overlapping each other but I thinking I figured out how to decipher that. I took every other piece and grouped them together so I could mask like 3 groups and then I could mask the objects that overlapped separately, but now I want to go print it and can not move the separate masked object around I can only move the grouped objects.

My question is, is there an easy way to mask the group and then some how move each individual piece that is masked with out changing the design in the background? I know the easy answer is mask each individual piece, my design in the background is super high definition and just doing 3 groups make it laggy and a little hard to work with. I have thought about just working with a small section at a time and end up with like 5 or 6 saved portions of the design

Ohhh almost forgot I'm using Adobe illustrator CC and my RIP program is Flexi CC

Not exactly sure I worded everything correctly but any help is appreciated thanks in advance

myront

CorelDRAW is best
define "super high definition" dpi?
Illustrator's Clipping Mask might be your answer. I work in Corel myself so it's Powerclip. We don't typically use template but I have occasionally. I select all the shapes that make up 1 side of the vehicle and "combine" them as 1 shape. I then powerclip all the design elements inside that shape. Once all in in place I can then break apart the powerclip and it becomes multiple separate powerclips with each individual shape will have the entire design within it.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Yes, with multiple ways of doing it.

1) put the grouped masked objects on a separate window. Window > Layers (+) sign at bottom will create a new layer which can be dragged in the window to order them appropriately. The square next to the eyeball will lock said layer. Select what you need Ctrl + C for copy, delete selection, select new layer, Ctrl + F will paste in place at top.

2) If the masked objects are grouped together double left click the group, this will bring a gray bar at the top and will say something like Layer 1 <Group> (to go back in that gray bar at left side is an arrow, just click that until it goes away. Then if there are more groups within that group you can continue by double clicking what you want selected until just that is selected and you can move it around freely. This allows you to move an object or group within a group without destroying the group.

Let me know if that makes sense, if not you may be able to find a video if you google "moving an object within a group" or something like that.