• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving Printer 3 miles away. Best way to move it?

InkHead

So I need to move my equipment 3 miles away from its current location. I use a Mimaki UCJV300 60" printer and am wondering what is the best way to transport this thing. Would it be fine if I rolled this onto a Uhaul ramp and into the box truck? My concern is the ink flowing out from where or damaging the subtank somehow? Or would it be fine?

I could get a truck with a lift gate but I'm pretty sure this printer is wider the a lift gate so the wheels may not fit. Or do I need to put this thing on a custom pallet.

Another option is a utility trailer with ramp from uhaul which has a much lower deck so the incline wouldn't be as steep as their box truck.

Any suggestions?

victor bogdanov

I just sold a 64" roland, loaded it up on a low deck uhaul trailer, strapped down and moved an hr drive away. only thing we did was secure the printhead.

InkHead

I just sold a 64" roland, loaded it up on a low deck uhaul trailer, strapped down and moved an hr drive away. only thing we did was secure the printhead.
Yes I would definitely secure the head. So you just used the open air trailer? Did you use plywood or something on the ramp for ease of rolling?

victor bogdanov

Yes I would definitely secure the head. So you just used the open air trailer? Did you use plywood or something on the ramp for ease of rolling?
open trailer, the wheels fit right into the trailer grooves, we just lifted/tilted the printer to get onto the trailer, the trailer was only 12"off the ground I would guess.

I've also moved a printer in a Uhaul van, take off the base and slide the printer off the base into the van

ChicagoGraphics

No need to use the ramp on the open U-Haul trailer, get a couple of guys and lift one end on then the other end. You might have to put it on an angle if its longer then 8', I moved my Mimaki that way a few years back

InkHead

Thanks guys! Looks like the open trailer from uhaul without a ramp is the way to go. My concern was the grated ramp on those trailers but lifting one end up and placing it on the trailer sounds like a better idea

InkHead

Finally moving the printer tomorrow. Is there a way to lock the print head on the UCJV300 from moving during transport?

Last edited:

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Yes, there are three bright yellow brackets that the installer removed and should have put back in the machine. Before you do that empty your subtanks and printheads. Then brackets. When you transport machine is top-heavy and wheels are dainty. Ratchet strap machine to wall of truck used cardboard on ratchet ponts. The 2x4 idea is a good one. When you get to your destination, unload it and do all the above in reverse. Good luck!

InkHead

Hey Dasdesignguy. When you say the installer removed and should have put back in the machine... Do you mean they mount somewhere once they are removed? I'm not seeing any yellow brackets in any of the boxes I have from install.

I see 3 yellow brackets under the machine. A long one and 2 that look the same. Are these the correct ones? If so, does anyone have pics on where they are supposed to go to hold the head in place

Last edited:

InkHead

Hey Dasdesignguy. When you say the installer removed and should have put back in the machine... Do you mean they mount somewhere once they are removed? I'm not seeing any yellow brackets in any of the boxes I have from install.

I see 3 yellow brackets under the machine. A long one and 2 that look the same. Are these the correct ones? If so, does anyone have pics on where they are supposed to go to hold the head in place
I think I answered my own question. Looks like this is the bracket I need.

Before Transport: Drain subtank -> Drain Printhead -> mount bracket
After Transport : Remove bracket -> Fill Printhead -> Fill Subtank (or should it be Fill Subtank than Fill Printhead)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think I answered my own question. Looks like this is the bracket I need.

Before Transport: Drain subtank -> Drain Printhead -> mount bracket
After Transport : Remove bracket -> Fill Printhead -> Fill Subtank (or should it be Fill Subtank than Fill Printhead)
Don't even empty it. As long as you're not going to be tipping the machine at high angles, removing ink is not necessary especially if you're just moving down the road.