• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving Spot Colors from Illy to Corel

javila

So I have a decide made of six or seven spot colors, I need to provide a corel file to the client, but I can't get the .eps file to maintain the spot colors.

What happens is the spot colors get changed to rgb colors and some of them even change values.

How can I move files over and preserving all that stuff?

Illustrator CS2 -> X3

Jackpine

So I have a decide made of six or seven spot colors, I need to provide a corel file to the client, but I can't get the .eps file to maintain the spot colors.

What happens is the spot colors get changed to rgb colors and some of them even change values.

How can I move files over and preserving all that stuff?

Illustrator CS2 -> X3
Do you have Corel? If so bring the vector file into Corel and fill with the color formula that is in the vectors in Illy. Just a thought.

javila

I have corel, I'll be the one saving the corel file for them.

However the design is a bit complex and two of the colors are merging into a single color, doing a find and replace would be out of the question without wasting a large amount of time.

Here is a thought...

Some quick trial & error may be required. Sometimes when bouncing from one program maker to another, it is advised to use L*A*B colors. LAB colors to not usually get altered when moving. If I can remember, I always try to convert all colors to LAB, when I am finished. The other thing to try (and we do this often) is to save the Illy file as a PDF file. If your Corel color settings are proper, you should not see any changes. On occasion when Corel and Illy "argue" you may find that overprints will change position, but this is a rare occurrence.

Just a thought.....

javila

The final color I don't really care about because these are spot colors set up for screen seperations. I just need the "spot color" option to stay put on the objects. I forgot about pdf. hehe, I'm gonna see if that's work.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I have two questions:

1. Is your Illustrator layout set in CMYK or RGB?

2. What kind of spot colors are you using?

Normally CorelDRAW has little trouble at all maintaining spot colors, such as Pantone Solid/Coated, in an imported CMYK .EPS file saved from Adobe Illustrator. Same goes for importing a regular .AI file saved in version 8 or version 3.

If you're creating the Illustrator file in RGB there's a risk Illustrator itself won't properly maintain the spot colors in the file when exporting. Unlike Corel (which seems to let people do all sorts of odd, undisciplined stuff), Adobe Illustrator does not like mixing RGB and CMYK objects in the same layout at all.