• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving UV printer on a budget

Quark

Merchant Member
Hi all! We’re buying a used vutek UV printer and need to move it across the country .... on the budget.

Questions - for a 5 day no power move - do we really have to flush out the heads with solution? Would the heads dry up or would they survive a week of no power / no air pressure just fine?

Should we wrap the bottom of the carriage in some sort of a enclosure to prevent head drying ?

Do we really have to secure the carriage or would it be just fine parked in its normal homing position ?

And lastly my biggest concern, would the UV ink / heads / ink lines freeze in the freezing midwest temperatures ?

Thanks !!!

(If anyone could recommend a printer moving service we would greatly appreciate a referral)

dale911

President
What model printer is it? Most of these printers have transport procedures for this type of thing. I definitely would not leave the carriage “parked.” There is a good chance of damage if you don’t lock it down. See if you can get a copy of the service manual.

Quark

Merchant Member
It is gs2000 (hybrid)

Could anyone share the shut down manual part please ?

Thank you

Superior_Adam

I would for sure flush the lines to get all the ink out. Its a simple process at least on our 2 EFi printers (16h/24F). You simply put flush bottles in instead of ink and hit the purge button until all the ink is out. Once done take the flush bottles out wrap the floats in a ziploc bag with some safe clean rags used to wipe the heads in there also. the carriage will then be hand turned down (once power is off) onto a substrate with the same rags folded or laid out with cleaning solution to where the heads are resting. There should be a piece that screws to the carriage and beam to lock the carriage into place.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Questions - for a 5 day no power move - do we really have to flush out the heads with solution? Would the heads dry up or would they survive a week of no power / no air pressure just fine?

I would definitely flush. If you don't best case scenario you waste some ink. Worst case scenario the ink pressure gets messed up during shipping and has a massive leak causing damage to electrical boards etc.

Do we really have to secure the carriage or would it be just fine parked in its normal homing position ?

It's like when automatic car drivers only shift the car into park instead of using the parking break. Sure it works but it's much safer to use the parking break. It's another one of those better safe than sorry things. If the head does break loose from the lock, can cause major damage.

And lastly my biggest concern, would the UV ink / heads / ink lines freeze in the freezing midwest temperatures ?

As far as I know when the ink gets too cold it may separate which could cause clogs when you turn it back on. I would just flush it and sleep well.