Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving UV printer on a budget

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Quark, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Quark

Quark Member

Aug 20, 2014
    MI
    Hi all! We’re buying a used vutek UV printer and need to move it across the country .... on the budget.

Questions - for a 5 day no power move - do we really have to flush out the heads with solution? Would the heads dry up or would they survive a week of no power / no air pressure just fine?

Should we wrap the bottom of the carriage in some sort of a enclosure to prevent head drying ?

Do we really have to secure the carriage or would it be just fine parked in its normal homing position ?

And lastly my biggest concern, would the UV ink / heads / ink lines freeze in the freezing midwest temperatures ?

Thanks !!!

(If anyone could recommend a printer moving service we would greatly appreciate a referral)

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dale911

dale911 President

Jan 31, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    What model printer is it? Most of these printers have transport procedures for this type of thing. I definitely would not leave the carriage “parked.” There is a good chance of damage if you don’t lock it down. See if you can get a copy of the service manual.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Quark

Quark Member

Aug 20, 2014
    MI
    It is gs2000 (hybrid)

Could anyone share the shut down manual part please ?

Thank you

4. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I would for sure flush the lines to get all the ink out. Its a simple process at least on our 2 EFi printers (16h/24F). You simply put flush bottles in instead of ink and hit the purge button until all the ink is out. Once done take the flush bottles out wrap the floats in a ziploc bag with some safe clean rags used to wipe the heads in there also. the carriage will then be hand turned down (once power is off) onto a substrate with the same rags folded or laid out with cleaning solution to where the heads are resting. There should be a piece that screws to the carriage and beam to lock the carriage into place.

5. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I would definitely flush. If you don't best case scenario you waste some ink. Worst case scenario the ink pressure gets messed up during shipping and has a massive leak causing damage to electrical boards etc.

It's like when automatic car drivers only shift the car into park instead of using the parking break. Sure it works but it's much safer to use the parking break. It's another one of those better safe than sorry things. If the head does break loose from the lock, can cause major damage.

As far as I know when the ink gets too cold it may separate which could cause clogs when you turn it back on. I would just flush it and sleep well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Flush and transport securely and properly. Last time I checked, the heads on those are close to $4k a piece. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Quark

Quark Member

Aug 20, 2014
    MI
    Thank you so much guys

8. Jun Lanon

Jun Lanon Member

Oct 9, 2018
    California
    When moving a machine, I would flush the lines and remove the print head. I would then zip tie the carriage.