• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving VP-540 up a steep stairwell- hints?

Contact23

I need to move my vp-540 to its new shop so the problem is a steep stairwell , I will need to turn the machine almost vertical to get it up so was wondering has anyone else done a move with this amount of tilt? i will probably need to drain, or not? lock the head of course and how many people would i need? any tips or hints?
thanks

ExecuPrintGS

If it were me I'd empty the inks and lock the head just to be safe. We moved our vp-540 about 3 blocks in the back of a trailer, left the head unlocked and inks in with no bad results. It's the incline that would worry me. As for how man people to move it, I guess that depends how strong you guys are... We used 2 guys one on each end to pick our up and walk it onto a trailer, it's not super heavy more awkward especially with the base on it, maybe take the bass off to go up the stairs.

good luck :thumb:

Contact23

its the incline that i am concerned about , if i tilt it with the inks out , will the ink leak out or should the ink stay in the lines , anyone?

Robert M

ink

The ink will not leak. Drain the waste bottle and lock the head. if you need to take it off the stand take off the waste bottle and tape a rag over that opening to collect any ink coming down the waste lines. Furniture dollies are nice for moving printers off the stand

garleness

how do you lock head

I just purchased one of these printers and it went upstairs and for a trailer ride. previous owner and myself did not know how to lock the head so we installed bubble wrap on either side to take up what little play there was.

How do you lock the head ???

Rednapew

If you can make sure the waste ink is totally plugged.... clamp the tubes to the pump below the 'Y' coupler also make sure the control panel side is on the high side... lock the head with the blue clamp that came with your machine it should screw into place in front of your blade carriage... if not make sure the seal between the capping stations and your printheads is securely sealed... getting ink on any electronic is very easy when you are moving a VP-540 to near vertical ... do not let it get upside down.... best safest bet is to totally drain all the ink and still do everything i said here... make sure the waste ink drain is empty... if the ink leaks onto any electronic components it will come from there... yup that's all

DigiPrinter

I would measure everything a couple of times to make sure it's going to go into the space.....it would suck to get to the top to be jammed. If it's super tight and going to be a royal pain move I would do the "Chicago" move. If you have a window into the space that you could bring the printer through I'd either get a fellow sign company to crane it in (you might get some of their print work that way too) or get an all-terrain fork lift to lift it up. Sometimes it better to spend a little upfront than spend a lot later....

JgS

I took mine for a 300 mile trailer ride and up 4 flights of stairs with no bad results. I did drain the ink, took it off the stand, removed the drain bottle, lock the head, removed the rollers and warped it in bubble wrap first. I found a link on roland's site that showed the propper way to move the printer. If I get time today I'll hunt it down.