Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mozilla Thunderbird Mail Client Dead?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by CES020, Jul 8, 2012.

1. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    Anyone else see the article that says Mozilla is dropping all Thunderbird development?

Man, I hate to see that happen. It says they are going to leave it up to the "community" to develop it, I think.

That's very disappointing. I've always liked Thunderbird as a mail client.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/06/mozilla-giving-thunderbird-the-effective-axe/

I'm not sure what to use now, or what to recommend to people when they ask.

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    First I've heard about it and I like Thunderbird too.

3. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    I hope this does not mean its dead, even though the article asks that question.

It does say that Mozilla, as a corporation, is withdrawing from leading the development and leaving it to the community. Which means it just becomes like any other open source project.

Even if it dies, I'm quite happy with the current version and will continue to use for as long as it works.

4. Jack Knight1979

Jack Knight1979 Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Maine
    that's horrible news. I used it when I ran PC's. Solid email client.
    Hopefully someone else will pick it up.

5. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    About time.......Cloud has taken over and email clients like Thunderbird just do not have enough users to make it worthwhile...

6. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta

"The Cloud" has taken over?

If, perhaps, "The Cloud" you speak of refers to remote storage of data, then how is Thunderbird not a participant in that paradigm?

TB is a very able IMAP client and has been very handy in allowing me access to two of my GMail accounts. If that's not using "The Cloud", I don't know what is...

7. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Hell, even outlook works as an IMAP client quite efficiently. I use TB as my email program on my laptop travel/production computer and I use Outlook on my office design computer. I just wish Adobe's PDF Maker worked for TB like it does Outlook.