• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MSI ProMag

psbc2009

Anyone using MSI ProMag? I have been having more problems with Magnum Magnetics and looking to make a switch.
Thanks for any feedback.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Magnum owns MSI, supposedly its even the same product now. We have been using ProMag for awhile and switched back to Magnum SignMag, the ProMag was curling in on itself. Magnum says we have to use a cast vinyl, we've never had the issue with SignMag and still haven't so we went back and pay the same price for both.

Magnum is saying we must use cast? Why would you want to put cast on a material that is only going to last a few years anyway?

We haven't had any issues yet with Magnum (that we know of), but we don't do a whole lot of magnets either.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes when we placed a claim with magnum on 2.5 rolls of ProMag, Their response after receiving the bad mag was we used 3M IJ35c and its calendared we must switch to using a cast material since the calendared is shrinking stronger then the magnetic pull.

I told them we never had this issue with SignMag and they said its the same product in a new box. We immediately paid out of pocket to replace all the bad magnets with SignMag and it hasn't curled since and that was months ago.

Attachments

• 20140827_100014.jpg
    20140827_100014.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 55

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Using cast makes no sense because the mag is already covered with a calendared vinyl ... therefore different shrink rates. We've been using Oracal 651 (calendared vinyl) Edge printed and overlaid for years with Magnum and have never had a problem.

2B

we also had issues with the magnetic material from Magnum, have since switched to Car-Safe and have had no issues

GB2

Old Member
Fred, if I'm not mistaken....it's just the opposite...I believe that the Magnum magnetic material is covered with 3M cast vinyl. I'll try to find that documentation, we'll need confirmation and not just our hearsay. That would be why you must use cast vinyl on magnetic material.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you have to use Cast on Magnum, I'm switching brands as it over prices the magnetics for a short lifespan.

ALSO if cast is required, why don't they print that info on their sell sheets, box, advertisements, etc? To me that is kind of an easy out for them to escape from claims.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, if I'm not mistaken....it's just the opposite...I believe that the Magnum magnetic material is covered with 3M cast vinyl. I'll try to find that documentation, we'll need confirmation and not just our hearsay. That would be why you must use cast vinyl on magnetic material.

Checking their site they are showing the thickness of the vinyl to be .002" (.05 mm), so you are correct thst it is cast vinyl. I still stand by the rest in that using Oracal 651 has never caused a shrinking or curling problem for us.