• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

multi color cut vinyl on same release liner one piece

Norman Clifton

anyone found a solution -
I need to layer two large colors of cut vinyl on one premask sheet in advance of vehicle install
I have done this easily with two color layered vinyl so that I only have to apply one graphic to vehicle
it works because the one vinyl goes direct on top of another vinyl

BUT in this case the two colors don’t layer they go side by side
problem is when I premask the 2nd color and apply it to the other weeded color carrier sheet since it doesn’t want to stick to the release liner - it is hard to get it off the premask if not impossible since the carrier sheet is so smooth - would LOW TACK transfer paper work better for this

recommendations?

unclebun

What are the materials you are using now? We do this all the time with Avery 750 and 950, and some 3M 7125. (We don't mix the cast and calendared on the same job). Our standard application tape is R-Tape RLA 4075 high tack. We have no trouble at all.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it were me I would roll out enough transfer for both and lay both layers down using a couple registration triangles and then just use both release liners together.

Norman Clifton

Thanks we use cut vinyl calendared last job is Avery HP750 - and medium tack transfer tape - what am i doing wrong - i cut the first color - weed it and then cut the 2nd colour - weed and apply transfer tape medium tack to it - then try to line it up to the first color - like i said no problem if layered but if going ion a blank area where the smoothy release surface is 0- it doesn want to stick - which is the purpose of release liner - but it doesn't work for me - but if it did stick then i would apply a transfer paper on the one piece with 2 colors as I do with layered colours
i just order some low tac application tape will see if that plays nicer

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
do you mean apply to vehicle separately - not sure how one would use two release liners together?

It works best if you have a light table. I start by adding a triangle or two to both layers in my file so the cutter cuts the triangle in the same exact place on each layer. then I lay transfer tape down sticky side up on the light table, lay the first vinyl layer down on the transfer tape but keep the backer on. Then use a scrap piece of backer to cover any exposed transfer tape and line the triangles up between the two vinyl layers. Once the triangles are lined up, I hinge the second layer with removable tape, remove the scrap backer so only transfer is showing again, and then apply the second layer. Now you should have the two layers on a single transfer paper laid out perfectly and you will have two backers. You could tape the backers at the seam to add some stability if you want.

It's been a while since I've done it but we used to do tons of these types of jobs at the shop I worked at. I'm sure someone might have a more efficient way but that's how I used to do it with success.

Andy D

BUT in this case the two colors don’t layer they go side by side
problem is when I premask the 2nd color and apply it to the other weeded color carrier sheet since it doesn’t want to stick to the release liner - it is hard to get it off the premask if not impossible since the carrier sheet is so smooth - would LOW TACK transfer paper work better for this

recommendations?
I have had to do this before... Why remove the premask? Just leave it and when you mask both, go on top of the vinyl and mask.

Norman Clifton

I have had to do this before... Why remove the premask? Just leave it and when you mask both, go on top of the vinyl and mask.
classic case of overthinking - yes weed both =premask one color use register marks to line up and then apply masked color direct to the next colour Dah! thanks -