• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multi color vinyl production

ss5520

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 9.46.38 PM.png
We usually don't do multi color vinyl jobs, we always print in these cases. But this is a job we have to do with specific colors of vinyl. How would you do this? Cut out the letters out of the green area and apply on top of strips of black and white (avoiding registration issues/handling) or mount the white and black letters on top of the green. We have to do between 400 and 800 of these, and there are other parts of this job that have the same issue. The overall size is 24x12" for this.

MrDav3C

Personally, when looking at those quantities, I would give the client 2 prices, one for cut vinyl graphics and one for print.

I don't believe the vinyl colours would be too hard to match as a printed graphic & suspect the client would go for the printed option if priced accordingly.

If we were going to go down the route of cut vinyl graphics, we would Cut a quantity of the green blocks, then cut the different coloured lettering so it pre spaced to match the layout of the green blocks. At least this way we would be able to line up and apply the lettering to the green blocks in mass rather than individually.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
If this is not backlit, and the quantity you are doing, the only sensible thing would be do to solid green with white and black overlay on it. Cuts down massively on production time.

If it is backlit I would say you have to cut out the letters and register at least the white; otherwise, when the light is turned on the white will be very very green.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would also give two prices and hope they bite at the printed. What size vinyl roll are you using? 30"? Can't do 2 up on 24" - that sucks. Don't forget to account for all the wasted vinyl. I would try what the above person said, maybe try and do 3-4 at a time but cut a little registration mark so you can just line it up. A light table might be handy! I would also cut the solid green then overlay the black, then the white. Going to be a big job.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Print/cut them on a Gerber Edge. Use the correct green (apple?) and print the white and black foil onto them. This will get them nice solid colors with a good bright green, in a single layer.
Wide format printing is the best/cheapest/easiest way to do these, but some customers want a brighter green than you can usually accomplish that way (CMYK printing).

JBurton

Signtologist
What is the end product?
If it's going on a white panel or something, void cut the white areas out of the green, then use 3m 7725 black (has a clear backer) to cut the black lettering plus one white letter for registration, line the letter up over the void, tape it down, then split the liner when your sticking it so you don't also have to remove a black letter.

MikePro

printed if you can hit the green color.
or
printed on green vinyl, with a printer that has white ink option.
or
print&cut on green vinyl, with white lettering contour-cut out if applied to a white substrate.

ss5520

Personally, when looking at those quantities, I would give the client 2 prices, one for cut vinyl graphics and one for print.

I don't believe the vinyl colours would be too hard to match as a printed graphic & suspect the client would go for the printed option if priced accordingly.

If we were going to go down the route of cut vinyl graphics, we would Cut a quantity of the green blocks, then cut the different coloured lettering so it pre spaced to match the layout of the green blocks. At least this way we would be able to line up and apply the lettering to the green blocks in mass rather than individually.
We did give several quotes, there are more adhesives as part of this job, and this is one of the options I think they are going with this option, and full color is not one of the options they want to go with. We actually gave them a better price doing them in full color. I think the best way after thinking a lot is putting several registrations blocks on the left of the solid green and then, applying registration for the white and for the black and in that way making less usage of white than of the black.

ss5520

printed if you can hit the green color.
or
printed on green vinyl, with a printer that has white ink option.
or
print&cut on green vinyl, with white lettering contour-cut out if applied to a white substrate.
These are going on cars, several colors.

ss5520

What is the end product?
If it's going on a white panel or something, void cut the white areas out of the green, then use 3m 7725 black (has a clear backer) to cut the black lettering plus one white letter for registration, line the letter up over the void, tape it down, then split the liner when your sticking it so you don't also have to remove a black letter.
These are going on different color cars. Will look into that media. They are actually specifying Oracal 641.

ss5520

I would also give two prices and hope they bite at the printed. What size vinyl roll are you using? 30"? Can't do 2 up on 24" - that sucks. Don't forget to account for all the wasted vinyl. I would try what the above person said, maybe try and do 3-4 at a time but cut a little registration mark so you can just line it up. A light table might be handy! I would also cut the solid green then overlay the black, then the white. Going to be a big job.
We were planing on running on 48" roll. Yes there will be a lot of waste, but this is only one of the decals, there are some more and all work on combination of 4 (light green, dark green, black and white) colors. Will try to maximize the roll as much as possible. But sometimes, saving a bit on waste you loose it on production time, something that we all not look at much, and can be a lot more costlier. They are specifing Oracal 641 which is a very economical vinyl.

ss5520

Print/cut them on a Gerber Edge. Use the correct green (apple?) and print the white and black foil onto them. This will get them nice solid colors with a good bright green, in a single layer.
Wide format printing is the best/cheapest/easiest way to do these, but some customers want a brighter green than you can usually accomplish that way (CMYK printing).
Don't have a Gerber Edge. Would be nice as I would save a lot of weeding, not shown in this decal. Yes, we need to match that color they are specifying. This is an across the world project, and specifying the actual vinyl color will guarantee color match across all installations.

gabagoo

If you supply them pre cut and pre applied then will you not have issues with application from the two layers having air stuck between where they meet on the vehicle? I have experienced this in the past and never found a work around

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Outsource it if you don't print....
A Digital printer can hit that color from the Oracal color chart, it's not fluorescent like in your pic. Layered vinyl are you joking?
400 -800 24in. decals?