• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multi-layer laminating/cutting process?

_Neil

Hi all,

I now officially have my own Edge FX and GSx+ for decals for electronics I make. As I'm not in the sign business, it gets minimally used (but the convenience of being able to make custom decals as I design/tinker is great), so I'm still experientially new to all this decal/graphics stuff.

I want to use it for a custom overlay which would be the following layers (from the top down):
- Lexedge/Armalex
- Jet Black print (on lexedge)
- Adhesive (3M 821x or similar)
- Custom diffuser sheet
- Adhesive (3M 821x or similar)

I want to use 10-mil Lexedge, and I can use 1-mil adhesive. The diffuser is 5-mil or 7-mil. So the full stack is maybe 20 mils thick.

Here are the issues/questions:
- I'd prefer to adhere the diffuser to the printed Lexedge before cutting it. How do I do this (without getting bubbles etc)? I'm not sure a laminator is the right machine for this because of the heat on the adhesive.
- Once I have it all stacked/laminated together, can I cut through the whole 20-mil stack with a GSx+? If it has to be multiple passes or using some custom blade, that's fine, but considering this will be very low volume, I want to avoid the tooling cost of die cutting.
- The diffuser comes in 8.5" x 11" sheets, or I could get slightly larger sheets. Is there any way to cut this by itself on the GSx+, such as attaching to some type of carrier sheet that has the tractor-feed perforations?

Thanks.

jfiscus

Rap Master
There's no way to stack two layers of lexedge and have it run correctly through a plotter. Even regular lexedge pops off sprockets occasionally here (make sure your bailing arm springs are up to snuff). I run regular lexedge at 5 passes at 18 speed.

I would try doing your black, then trying something like matte clear, frogskin, etc to act as a diffuser if necessary.
However, I still am not exactly clear on what the diffuser is doing for you?
Possibly switching to a different adhesive might take care of the need for a diffuser?
Some of our lexedge decals use a white adhesive sheet and others use a kind of translucent adhesive.

_Neil

The diffuser will diffuse light from small LEDs. It has taken me ages to locate the correct diffuser (ie: the right amount of light dispersion without too much light attenuation) for this, so I really want to stick with this.

Why does Lededge pop off the sprockets? Just because of the sideways forces/friction on the material as the blade cuts it? Should not be because of the thickness as the section touching the sprockets will still be just the thickness of the Lexedge -- right?

How do I run multiple cut passes? Is that a setting in Omega?

Thanks.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The diffuser will diffuse light from small LEDs. It has taken me ages to locate the correct diffuser (ie: the right amount of light dispersion without too much light attenuation) for this, so I really want to stick with this.

Why does Lededge pop off the sprockets? Just because of the sideways forces/friction on the material as the blade cuts it? Should not be because of the thickness as the section touching the sprockets will still be just the thickness of the Lexedge -- right?

How do I run multiple cut passes? Is that a setting in Omega?

Thanks.

The thickness of it tries to make it "flat" instead of curved so running over the curved drum and bailing arm is sometimes problematic. Running it slow makes it run fine on my HS15+ at multiple passes. We run a decent amount of it; around a whole roll every couple weeks.

I would see what type of "diffusers" you could use or what types of 2-sided laminates your suppliers sell; I bet one of the laminates should be able to double as a diffuser and save you costs/time.
Or possibly run a translucent edge print as a diffuser, or a piece of etched glass vinyl? I would think you will be fine cutting it, may have to add a couple more passes.

I have found that the blade drags on really thick prints sometimes, it just doesn't retract far enough. (if that makes sense) If that happens turn down the pressure some and add passes till it cuts correctly.

Attachments

• multicut.jpg
    multicut.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 42

_Neil

My plotter selection dialog does not have the option. Wondering if they moved it elsewhere perhaps, so I'll look around.

Thanks.

_Neil

So my software does not have that option, but I do have a "Double cut" option. Curious, what software version are you running?