• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multiple Computers?

bendeane

I am about to get Flexi Pro and was told that it is wise to have my design computer and my rip computer separate. Is this crucial? I know how big the files being sent to the printer can be (using a Mutoh ValueJet 54") but I also have extensive experience in video editing and know that video editing is about the most taxing thing you can do on a computer. I'd like to not have to pull the trigger on another computer for about 6 months. Can I use Illustrator, Photoshop, etc., without much trouble on a pretty fast, powerful PC and still rip with the same PC?

Comments, suggestions, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism always respected and appreciated.

Thanks

All Signs Inc.

We use flexi sign pro and rip with the same computer and have not problems. Both of the PC's that we rip with are loaded with Photoshop and Illustrator and we have no problems.

SignBurst PCs

In my opinion, it really depends on what your workflow and your level of production. You will undoubtedly save time by separating the design and rip, but it is not absolutely necessary. Many folks do everything from one computer. If you are a high production shop and/or deal with very large files, then separating the two will make your shop more efficient and save you time and make you money. If you are a lower production shop and/or you are dealing with smaller files, it may not help as much.

Mosh

We have two design computers and each of our four printers have it's own computer for ripping. The computers that are dedicated to the printers all have Corel on them so if need be they can do some design work on them. This works well if you are doing alot of production printing.

Replicator

almost all our computers are design stations, but we only have several RIP stations that are devoted to Production ONLY ! ! !

choucove

As Casey said above, this is really dependent upon your situation. If your computer is powerful enough, and your workflow is not at too fast of a rushed pace, then there is no reason why you couldn't do your designing and RIP from the same computer. It is physically possible no doubt. The reasons for using two computers would be if 1) the single computer does not have enough power to perform the tasks of designing and RIP together, or 2) if the workload of jobs needing to be ripped is high enough that no design work can be done because you're always printing.

tanneji

For us, it makes more sense to do it all from one. We also tend to run smaller print jobs that makes it easier to just drag and drop into the RIP from the same computer. It would make tons of sense if you are printing a large amount of larger things like vehicle wraps, billboards etc. We do a bunch of banners, yard signs, etc so they don't demand much rip time.

javila

Unless you have an aging computer or you have a nonstop rip/print workflow, You shouldn't give it a second thought.

Dice

With a MultiCore machine these days you'll be fine. You'll only need to separate if you do a lot of volume. If you get to that point you won't be asking yourself if you should do it, you'll do it.

encadtech

*Ideally* you will would want them separate. The question you need to have answered is what is the typical size and resolution of prints that you will be producing? The bigger the file - the more resources you need. I have run Onyx ProductionHouse, Wasatch, and Flexi Pro 8.1. Onyx and Wasatch are a definite must be stand alone - Flexi seems to multitask pretty well with reasonable sized projects - 4'x8' 100 DPI and smaller.

gnatt66

i'm small time..and recently went to a single 'sign' computer and just stream music/interwebs/etc on my other PC...works better for me.

omgsideburns

I know older Onyx rips need OLD Aladdin USB drivers to work and running both the old and new drivers for two keys can and will cause conflicts.

cptcorn

adad
I'd keep them separate...

Working on HUGE photoshop files usually makes the computer do weird stuff randomly. Especially when saving large amounts data. If you printing at this very same time it may effect the output form the rip to the printer... Not something I'd want to risk. RIP computers don't have to be anything too special.