• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multiple layers of translucent film on backlit sign

Stevealex

Hello, I have a customer who would like a backlit sign done with a yellow background and red lettering. I was wondering two things- 1) Can I layer the red translucent vinyl (Oracal 8500) right on top of the yellow translucent vinyl or will I have to cut out the spacing on the yellow background and apply the red into the cutout section? 2) If I have to cut the yellow vinyl and insert the red can I use the wet application method with that type of vinyl. Thanks

player

When we used to spray backlit signs with Lacryl and Spraylat translucent paint, we could put the yellow behind the red and it worked perfectly. It was a big time saver. I would have thought vinyl would be the same...

Rocco G

Why not just get a yellow plastic sheet and just put the red vinyl right on it? We've done that many times (especially with Chinese restaurants) and I don't ever remember a problem or complaint. Yes, the red does light up a bit "off" compared to putting it on white plastic, but not really close to orange.

MikePro

1) yellow trans. background, .090 inline letters cut-out. weed&mask, wet-apply square/centered
2) red trans. vinyl, cut to size. wet apply over top of yellow trans., centered on cut-outs. this will leave a .090 overlap around the perimeter of your letter. inhibiting potential failure down the line.
(if you simply cut the same shape and try to "fill", you'll always wind-up with random strokes of white showing somewhere around the perimeter of the letters. vinyl-on-vinyl bond also prevents either from curling as the vinyl hardens & tries to shrink/curl at the edges.)

Stevealex

Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I thought. Just wanted to get some advice from someone who has done this.