• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multithreading for JAWS in Postershop- wah wah wahhhhh

Dogvan

So we installed a new server with 8 cores and I put the free Windows Hyper V Server 2012 on there and virtualized our old server onto it. I got to thinking it would be nice to speed up rips for complex files, so I installed Win7/64 on there and assigned it 8 cores and 6 gig of memory, only to find out JAWS is using only one processor and occasionally spiking a second processor- but I think that's the main postershop.exe doing that. I tried to set affinity for the JAWS process but access was denied. I may take ownership of that process and see what I can do.

Anyone have any experience with this? Because the hardware dongle is being accessed virtually, I could have multiple virtual machines all running discrete instances of Onyx - I just have to click the "connect" button to activate the dongle to start each rip - the equivalent of having five computers sitting in a line and physically changing the dongle out. I suppose once they catch on to virtualization they'll implement hardware checks during the rip, but for now it remains practical, if convoluted. 3 hrs of ripping for one vehicle is killing me. It's curbing my design freedom.

Dogvan

No dice. It's just a single threaded process. The new machine cut a third off the time, but it's only because each processor is faster than each of those in my AMD Phenom quad. Oh well.

3 hrs of ripping for one vehicle is killing me. It's curbing my design freedom.

What is the effective resolution of the raster elements in the file ((assuming that there are raster elements in the file that is going to the RIP)?

Bly

Vista 64 bit Business version, ProductionHouse 10.
Ours seems to use all 4 cores.
3 hours to rip one car?
Something sounds seriously wrong unless it's massively complex vector art.

Attachments

• onyx multithreading.jpg
    onyx multithreading.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 84

nate

3 hrs of ripping for one vehicle is killing me. It's curbing my design freedom.
Move to Caldera. No hours of ripping. Load the images, move to printer. Hit print. Printer prints.

And for machines that have a local controller, RIP times are fantastic.

Hotspur

Nope Caldera is slower in like for like comparisons.

Jaws outstrips Ghostscript when processing options set the same.

Onyx Adobe rip (Thrive) massively outstrips Caldera Adobe rip - you can get 8 Onyx adobe rips using each processor individually yet simultaneously on a dual quad core system.

You can rip 8 jobs at the same time with NO loss of speed on one PC - Caldera simply cannot do this.

If you want you can set up full client - server systems just like Caldera but have the freedom to match rip engines with individual processor cores.

if its sheer horsepower you want there is no alternative to Onyx Thrive - Caldera is miles behind when you are careful to set up a real comparison test (I've done it)

As for workflow its Calderas biggest achilles heel - Onys is so slick you can load, process and print without touching the rip at all (the best operators use it with the monitor switched off)

Caldera wants you to spend your valuable time playing around with it - i'd rather spend my time in my App where I'm paid to sit not screwing about with a rip.

Anyone ripping for three hours needs to take a look at their design workflow - its almost unheard of these days (almost!)