• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural Material Recommendation

FelixS

Hello~
I'm wondering what would be the best kind of substrate to use for a very large outdoor mural. Something that is sturdy and weather proof. The panels have to be installed in the mortar joints only on the building so it can be removed in the future without damage to the surface of the walls etc;

outdoor and UV ray tolerant, can be cleaned off if graffitied etc

They're looking for a rigid substrate.
And if anyone has info on anti-graffiti film to go over it, I'd appreciate it!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You realize, you have about 9 questions going on ??

So, you want to put a mural onto a rigid substrate, then mount it to a brick or block wall without using any physical fasteners. What is the finished size going to be and how high in the air (off the ground) will this thing be ??

FelixS

You realize, you have about 9 questions going on ??

So, you want to put a mural onto a rigid substrate, then mount it to a brick or block wall without using any physical fasteners. What is the finished size going to be and how high in the air (off the ground) will this thing be ??
Okay? Thought questions were supposed to be asked here. The email I got from the customer if the first part of the post which is why I'm looking for if someone has any clue what to do with it.

It's going on a historical building, so they don't want the wall to be damaged. Fasteners can go into the mortar.
The finish size is supposed to be 19'x19'. This is the picture they sent of a mockup.
1719850431606.png

I tried suggesting something that sticks to the wall and tried suggesting doing them as banners, but they want rigid so I wanted to see if there was anything out there before I tell them that's not going to work.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Now that you have mentioned a size.... keep in mind you will need to do each piece in panels at that size. you won't be able to do 19x19 feet in one piece.

petepaz

based on the size you will need to build a frame to attach the acm panels to. we use 1" tubing. ( like gino said) you can set it up in the area and attach to the building in the mortar joints then mount your panels to the frame.
you can make or buy some small L brackets to mount the frame to the building

BlueRoseAuto

i Agree ACM would be the best for this project but being able to only hit mortar with mounting will be the difficult part.
There are a lot of calendar lams that will hold up long term outside. Arlon 3220 maybe

Gino

Premium Subscriber
i Agree ACM would be the best for this project but being able to only hit mortar with mounting will be the difficult part.
There are a lot of calendar lams that will hold up long term outside. Arlon 3220 maybe

That's why many of us made note to use a frame, so you can hit the mortar joints.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Self tapping screws with a wide head would be my choice of fasteners. You still pre-drill the holes, to avoid slippage.

If you wanna be sloppy, you could always use treated wood.