• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Murals falling off of drywall

GRAFIKportables

I am an independent installer who works for many shops in western Canada. I have noticed lately that murals done with IJ35 film are prone to the adhesive releasing and falling off. I continue to research the issue and find that the combination of 3MIJ35 film printed on a HP printer is the root of the problem. All other variables differ including installer. Any information would be muchly appreciated. Barry

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Me personally, I don't think that material is good for that application. I don't know why running an HP printer would cause the material to fail, it works great but just not ideal for wall graphics.

GRAFIKportables

Would you have a suggestion on preferred adhesive and laminate that is more suited for drywall murals? I have installed for several national franchises that are using Avery and Oracal both of which we have never seen an issue. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We use Gen Form 226 and 229 for wall murals. We do not laminate them.
Also remember there are some paints that just will not accept adhesive vinyl no matter what it is. You have to prep with alcohol to get a more permanent bond.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Would you have a suggestion on preferred adhesive and laminate that is more suited for drywall murals? I have installed for several national franchises that are using Avery and Oracal both of which we have never seen an issue. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

I would recommend using a materials like PhotoTex, Gen Form
Also remember there are some paints that just will not accept adhesive vinyl no matter what it is. You have to prep with alcohol to get a more permanent bond.

The GF material is awsome, I just got in a new version from their competitor that makes these ones in 150' lengths which is great, and also in 60" rolls are available. The price is the same but the added sizing comes in handy.

bigben

Have you ruled out an issue with the finish on the drywall?
Paint formulations are changing constantly, especially in these days of low VOC.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1193341O/install-prep-for-low-voc-painted-walls.pdf

Brad in Kansas City

I agreed. I always test the paint first and wait a minimum of 30 days for the paint to outgass before installing a mural.

Phototex and no lam. Works every time.

I use around 10 rolls of phototex per month and never had a problem.

If the customer say the phototex is too expensive, I go with those material and never had a problem. I use a minimum of 2 rolls per month of this stuff.

Rydaddy

Which Avery/Oracal Medias are you installing that are working?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
flexcon busmark no lam.
it installs itself!
i was installing 10ft high panels in a few minutes each! it nearly took me more time to double check positions

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
With the low VOC paints that we use now doing wall murals must be done with the correct material.

What ever brand you ultimately decide to use I would recommed following the 3M wall testing procedure. Google search for their instruction bulletin. Sorry not at my shop right now other wise I'd tell you. I have these printed out.

Personally we use 3M IJ180 without any air release. We have also installed may murals and I'm see a shift to the "better" brands and /or the cast materials.

Don't forget that IJ35 is a calandered vinyl. You are using a material that will inherently shrink add that to the low loc paints and the adhesive just can't hold.

So in my opinion the cost savings for a material like this just is not work the possible headaches later. Just do it right the first time for your customer and explain. It to them. Also now that you have this problem occurring. Take pictures and show them to your clients as proof why they should use what you are recommending. Because you know for experience!

GRAFIKportables

IJ35C is a controltac adhesive and should be post heated. is the drywall painted or bare?
The drywall is painted as a semigloss and has been drying for 20+days. Did a adhesive test in several locations and it passed. I agree that Contoltac vinyl is not ideal for drywall.

signbrad

The drywall is painted as a semigloss and has been drying for 20+days

Another piece of information that would be good to post, if you know it, is the paint manufacturer, and the product line. If others run into problems with a particular product from a specific maker, it could point to the paint as the culprit.
Most manufacturers make an extensive array of finishes and, from product to product, they all may perform somewhat differently. I believe that sometimes a particular vinyl product or its adhesive has been blamed when the problem is really the wall finish.

Brad

Chasez

First thing would be to check the paint. The Low VOC paint mixed with a material that won't handle it is your culprit. The low VOC paints typically have a silicate in them which comes to the surface during curing which gives the paint the "easy clean". Nothing will stick to this (that's the point of the easy clean paints). If you follow 3M's bulletin 5.37 for installation/wall prep you should be good (I would suggest investing in a 3M adhesion test kit if you do a lot of wall murals). We use a variety of materials depending on the results of the test kit.

Chaz

mpn

"it works great but just not ideal for wall graphics."

BigfishDM I'd like some insight on the HP printers printing wall graphics if possible. We've been researching adding a latex printer to our shop but we print quite a bit of wall wraps.

Sorry for the thread hijack

papabud

Lone Wolf
i use an hp latex printer, i use 3m 180-10 and did my own wall art for my home, its in my spare bedroom. its been on the wall for about 1.5 years. no visible failure. but its also not getting touched very often like if it was in the public